NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 9, 2008.

1. dan83

dan83 Newbie

sikorumbe - the file is within the driver pack for the quadro card, u just use GPU-Z to get the device ID and compare it to the list (at least that's how I interperated it)

I also have a problem where the 'low-level system settings' button does not appear, I have checked the latest drivers supported by Riva and they are the latest drviers from nvidia.

"Rivatuner has been updated towards version 2.11 In this release we have included a huge number of new stuff to keep you busy, obviously GeForce 9x00 support has been added as well as ForceWare GeForce drivers up-to 180.48"

I am using Geforce9800GTX which seemed to be compatible according to the list. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Edit: Oh and it's mounted in the PCI-e slot is that a problem?

2. sikorumbe

sikorumbe Newbie

Hi dan83,
    I searched the file inside the Quadro driver pack that I donwload from the website and still coudln't find it :( The closest match probably is nv4_disp.inf. Could you please upload the nv_disp.inf ?

So did you managed to turn your 9800GTX+ to Quadro ? It should turned into Quadro FX3700 right ?

I'm using Rivatuner v2.20.

Thanxs

3. dan83

dan83 Newbie

I think that's the file mate, u have to scrole down a bit to find the details. No I haven't managed to mod mine yet, think they stopped it with the 9 series. Has anyone managed to do it with a 9800?

4. franzit

franzit Newbie

hello!has anyone tried to mod Geforce 8700m gt into a quadro 1600m FX? I have vista and solid edge 17, but solid edge isn't working well because lack of opengl support from driver.
    Thanks

5. jessecurry

jessecurry Newbie

Just a few spec of what I am currently running. (Built this computer several years ago so please don't make fun! =)

XP32, 3.0Ghz P4, 74GB WD 10,000RPM, 1gb ram, Geforce fx5200.

I am running SolidWorks 2009 and was getting no realview response out of my 5200 and very bad overall performance. After reading this I decided to softmod into a quadro fx500/600. Since I am building a new system soon and didn't really care if I mess anything up.

I used RivaTuner and installed the quadro partner certified driver for solidworks (162.65). Regretfully I did not run any before and after benchmarks as I did not expect to see any noticeable differences after the mod. Boy was I wrong! The realview improvement was huge and the overall performance seems to be much better too.

My question is that since I was going to be building a new system soon I was thinking about getting 2 8800 GTS or GTX with the g80 gpu and softmodding into 2 quadro fx4600 in SLI mode. I've seen a little talk about that scenario but haven't seen any results posted about it. Has anyone tried this and have any results good or bad? What is the best quadro card that has been successfully modded from a geforce? Any successful result for SLI on any other modded cards?

Any advice would be nice so that I could decide what parts I should order for my new build.

Thanks

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, chuvadenovembro successfully modded his GeForce 8800 GTS. Fuzzy 3D was also successful with the GeForce 8800 Ultra. AJLynn was successful with the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB and the GeForce 8600 GT. You can see their reports here -http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539&pgno=4

If you attempt the mod in your new system, please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

PS. Can you quantify the improvement you saw after modding your GeForce 5200?

7. curtisfong

curtisfong Newbie

G200 success

Hi everyone, I have a GTX 260. Has anyone successfully softmodded this series into a quadro?

thank you!

8. suntrace1

suntrace1 Newbie

8800GTX -> FX4600

Followed the guide to the letter.

My specs:
    CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6400 2,13GHz
    Memory: Patriot Dual-Channel 2048 DDR2 667MHz
    MB: Gigabyte G31M-S2L
    LCD: Dell 2407 WFP
    Case: Apple G3 :lol:

Used software
    latest nVidia Quadro driver 181.20
    RivaTuner v2.22
    GPU-Z.0.3.1.

Specview 10
    resolution 1600x1200

8800GTX
    3dsmax 8,64
    CATIA 7,45
    EnSight 15,96
    Maya 31,01
    Pro/Engineer 10,88
    SolidWorks 10,24
    UGS TVM 3,86
    USG NX 5,18

FX4600 mod
    3dsmax 13,93
    CATIA 13,91
    EnSight 17,46
    Maya 30,46
    Pro/Engineer 12,25
    SolidWorks 24,02
    UGS TVM 6,34
    USG NX 4,81

Results
    sw-01 134,50%
    catia-02 86,71%
    tcvis-01 64,25%
    3dsmax-04 61,23%
    proe-04 12,59%
    ensight-03 9,40%
    maya-02 -1,77%
    ugnx-01 -7,14%

Haven't tested in ProE thoroughly yet, but it seems fine.

I saw FX 4800, which has 192 cores (same as GTX260) and 1,5GB GDDR3 in the menu of RivaTuner v2.22.

1 person likes this.
  9. Adrian Wong

Wow, thanks for the report, suntrace1!! +rep!! :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  10. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide Rev. 4.0

The NVIDIA Quadro family of professional graphics cards are very, very expensive. But everyone knows that Quadro and GeForce graphics cards are virtually identical in hardware.

Obviously, you cannot just use Quadro drivers with your GeForce graphics cards. However, there is an easy way to soft-mod (modify in software) an NVIDIA GeForce desktop graphics card into an NVIDIA Quadro professional graphics card. We will show you just how to do it in this guide.

Not only that, we have also a new page with performance results from the soft-modding of an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX to the Quadro FX 4600 and improved the performance charts. Read on and find out.

[​IMG]

Link : NVIDIA GeForce To Quadro Soft-Mod Guide Rev. 4.0

11. SeanG

SeanG Newbie

Hi,I heard about this guide and tried to use it but im not seeing the nvstrap button in rivatuner?I see that your using vista,which i have read in rivatuner that nvstrap only works in xp.:?

12. owbert

owbert Newbie

would usig this softmod help with performance in avid media video editing software?

ive read the results but i am unsure what they reflect in terms of video results...namely with avid software.

13. jessecurry

jessecurry Newbie

Well, all I really have been running lately is SoliWorks2009 and that program seems to benefit the most from this by all the benchmark tests posted. I would have to say that I am getting 100%-150% better results in the graphics. In my opinion the difference from old to new is HUGE.

I can't seem to find anyone that has tried this in SLI so I think I am going to give this a try with 2 or 3 way SLI on my new build and all make sure to do before and after benchmarking for results.

Thanks

14. Adrian Wong

Please make sure you are using a driver that's compatible with Rivatuner.

15. Adrian Wong

We do not have any results on Avid, so we cannot tell you.

There's no harm trying it though. It's a softmod. You can just disable it if it doesn't work.

16. Adrian Wong

Yeah, haven't heard of anyone trying it in SLI. Do let us know how it goes! :beer:

17. Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could mod a gtx 285 in to a quadro fx 5800 in Vista x64 SP1.

From the charts it seems to be possible, but is it really?

Thanks

18. Adrian Wong

It is "possible" but unless someone actually tests it out, we will never know. :(

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think Rivatuner mod doesn't work in Vista.

20. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Newbie

Hy guys, i own an g92 card and unfortunatelly i'm pretty sure that this chipset isn't softmoddable in Riva Tuner anymore.Actually i read somewhere on RT's official forum one post written by Unwinder himself (the creator of RT) that he's not supporting softmodding after g80's and he's not planning to continue developing patches for drivers and nvstrap patch for newer chips...unfortunatelly.Indeed, in the latest Rt's changelog the newest chips are listed as supported but just for overclocking and fans control-correct me if I'm wrong!
    I read the latest article about softquadro (v 4.0) and I've seen nowhere informations about patching the quadro drivers prior to install them.From what I know from my past sucessfully attepts to softmod various Nv videocards, installing an unpatched driver doesn't really unlock the professional capabilities of the modded card.I mean that the driver installs but in Riva Tuner Openglide's properties, the "professional" tab remains inactive.Did somebody who reported an succesfully mod on this boad, managed to change the OpenGlide tab's properties with an unpatched Quadro driver?.I'm pretty sure that patching the driver offers way more performance.Regards everyone!