Nvidia partner warns users of 9800GX2 heat

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Max_87, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Fudzilla - Nvidia partner warns users of 9800GX2 heat

LMAO :haha:

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. Funny, but hardly surprising. Even the GeForce 8800 GTX is "untouchable". :hand: :mrgreen:

After testing, I always have to let it cool down for 10-15 minutes before removing it. :mrgreen: Touching it while it's running is.. insane. :haha:

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Seriously, who is going to buy this card?

I have a feeling it will flop like the 7950GX2.

The 3870X2 is already pushing it in terms of power consumption.

4. jasperchc

jasperchc Newbie

well, i think that will very much depends on the price/ performance ratio. I believe that's what most people look for in a card :think:

5. Chai

3870X2 is much better because they managed to squeeze in 2 cores on a single PCB.

But looking at 8800GT/GTS G92, I don't think it's possible to squeeze in 2 core, so they will have to do it ala 7950GX2, and it's going to be difficult to cool, and they will have to use high speed fan to cool it, which also means that it will be very noisy! And no after market coolers will fit on those cards!

Exclusive: Nvidia GeForce 9800GX2 | Tom's Hardware

6. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Maybe nVidia's 9800GX2 will be like what the R600 was for ATI, meaning that is what one hot card.

Fudzilla is also saying the TDP of the 9800GX2 is 240W which is more than the R600! :shock:

7. Adrian Wong

IMHO, the GeForce 9800 GX2 won't be a really popular card....

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah, it will just end up being a showcase...an advancement in performance that they can advertise, and because the competitor has one, we must have one too.

9. Chai

Why can't they release the 'real' G90... :(

Nvidia's advancement stopped since 8800GTX.

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Video card cooler too hot to touch? That doesnt sound new ;)

11. werty316

werty316 Newbie

True dat as supplies will most likely be low and the price will be quite high. I foresee the HD3870 X2 being the better buy out of the two.

12. Adrian Wong

There's no real impetus for development. ATI is pretty far behind. Until they can come up with something that can roundly beat the G92, NVIDIA has no real reason to do anything more... :think:

13. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

aihh tell me about it.

I could run 2900XT perfectly on my CM 450 RealPower.

the 3870x2? Hah! I read that it has lower power consumption but it doesn't seem so on my rig. the 450watter was crying.

So now I've upgraded my PSU (I've not fully configured the PSU though). :) And since my PSU is now bigger that the previous one, my casing can't close! ARGGHH! (yes, casing was modified)

It's faster than the 2900XT for the price that 2900XT WAS and for something with 2 GPU cores it runs at around 80c. pretty much like 8800GT on reference coolers. hrrhrhrrm.........

14. Chai

3870X2 has higher power consumption than 2900XT and 8800 Ultra, by far.

15. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

3870x2 consumes less power than 8800GTX.

config: QX9770, 2gb DDR3 1600, x48, antec 1000W PSU.

3870X2: 192 (idle) 299 (peak)
    800GTX: 215 (idle) 327 (peak)

16. Chai

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

and my sample is factory overclocked to 850MHz.

i will replace my power meter tomorrow with another one, just to double confirm the initial measurement.

18. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Chai, it really is a power hog.

the thing is that sites like Toms are showing the 3870x2 being less power consuming than the 2900XT. there's another site that shows similar, claiming it consumes 15% (IIRC) less power.

it was not the case in my rig. my 450watter couldn't run the 3870x2 like the 2900XT.

Idle on my side comes to about 115w. Load is about 284w.

19. Chai

How did you stress load the card?

I don't think Tom's figures are correct though. They use AOE3 to stress the cards???? Does it even support SLI/CF?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008