OC with ATI or NV

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Majormaggot, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

ok so im lookin at gettin a new video card(my budget is flexible right now) and want to know what the best card to get in agp, and which has the best OC potential. im was thinking for ati to with a x800xl or x850xt, or for NV to go with a 6800series or 6600 series??

any feedback would be great!

-Major

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

X800XL doesn't overclock too well, AFAIK. 6600GT is quite ok but personally I don't think it's worthwhile upgrading from a 9800 Pro @ XT to a 6600GT, the improvement isn't going to be significant. So maybe a 6800/GT or X850 :D

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I would go for 6800 series for the SM3 support. But X850 isn't such a bad card as well.

4. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

so which would be better in the long run??

5. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

for a R9800 Pro / XT to 6600 GT is a waste of money IMO. save up a bit more and get some thing better if you really wish to upgrade.

check out benchies that involves R9800 / X700 / 6600GT.

6. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

yeah if im going to upgrade imma go all out, so right now i guess its between the x850 and 6800gt, as chai noted, the 6800 has sm3, and the specs on the x850 says it runs faster. also does having a nvidia chipset board mean the 6800 will perform better(plz forgive the stupid questions, im rally a nub at this)??

-Major

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Difference between using an Nvidia or an ATI on an nForce board is negligible...if I were in your shoes I'd get the 6800GT (oh wait, I did :p ) for SM3.0
    Anyway since you'll be overclocking, you can slap some nice cooling on the 6800GT and hopefully take it past Ultra speeds...

8. Mike

Mike Newbie

yup. since AGP is your only choice, then a 6800GT/Ultra or X800XT or X850XT is also a good choice.

here in aus the X800XT (PE if you're lucky enoughto find one) can be had cheaper than 6800GT and is fairly good performance for the money.

9. Farmer

Farmer Newbie

I have just installed an X850XT PE AGP card, and it has been a great upgrade from a 9800Pro. I looked really close at the 6800Ultra, but it was more money, and took more power to run. But with the ATI card, as stated above, no SM3 support...

Later....

10. Sir Killalot

Sir Killalot Guest

If you're into tweaking and seeing you're upgrading from an AGP card: you're in an ok spot :). Just don't spend too much as PCI-Express is upon you...

But on the other hand it's perfect as AGP cards are cheaper than their PCI-Express variants nowadays so you should be able to find a good deal on either a
    - ASUS V9999GE (a 6800NU core @ GT speeds @ an Ultra PCB - weird card :p ) (at least I could buy it for almost half the price :faint: )
    - ATi X800 GTO2 (not the GTO, but GTO2) *EDIT* my bad: PCI-Express only :(

Both cards are 12pixel pipeline configurations, but can be flashed to 16. After that, you can overclock them to either a Ultra (Deluxe) or a X800XT / X850XT(PE)
    So...pretty fast :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  11. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

:shock: :shock:

wow i didn't know that, well in that case i gonna go with the Asus v9999GE, question is, are u sure i can get all 16 pipes and how hard would flashing it be(obtaining proper bios and all that i mean)??

12. Sir Killalot

Sir Killalot Guest

No, I'm not sure the pipelines are OK. The succesrate was quite high, but definately not 100%. You can easily test (and semi-permanently enable them using RivaTuner before you flash your BIOS)
    I mentioned this card as it was an ok card, but to expensive over here (Netherlands). You'd get a full GT for about that price (449,- euro's). It was 349,- later on, but once it hit 199,-... :mrgreen:
    But it has a nice software bundle and maybe even a webcam (I didn't have one yet :p ) so it might be worth checking out.
    The card is just made to be overclocked (even has a utility with it to do so).

The succesrate on the GTO2 so far has been 100%, but; too bad , no AGP.

But, while you're at it...why don't you get yourself a nice single slot PCI-Express x16 board and check out this card ;) :

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3654