OH ME GAWDS....Intel Bombardment

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by empire23, Mar 31, 2007.

1. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2957
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=2955

It seems that Intel has pulled out teh big guns to combat the scrouge of AMD. This is seriously great in my view because during the netburst era, Intel generally refused the budge away from the general architecture, and besides Prescott, relied on boosts with process enhancements or phy layer ones. Well, it seems Intel isn't resting on their asses this time and indications show that their chips are far more scalable and awesomely built than even Core2. And rumours from Intel indicate a 40 percent p4wnage level againts K8L.

So what's the line up for Penryn and Nahalem?

- 45nm tech process featuring metal gates and high-k dielectric, coupled with a shrink and various yield improvement techniques.

- New Multiple P states (old P states were a binary thing, high or low), the new states allow for even the cache and PLL timing on the clock to be shut down incase the extra cores aren't needed by the OS.

- Dynamic overclocking. Running single threaded apps that don't do multicore? Well Intel has pushed in a solution whereby the other cores are powered down, and the single core that is running is fed more voltage and overclocked. Intel seems to be riding on this overclocking binge since Core2, which is a good thing!

- Faster FSB, Well i guess everyone knows this eh?

- For the server side. CSI is finally coming, and it is totally meant to beat the shit out of HTT. With this, Intel is moving their memory controller onboard the processor itself, which will kill latency and boost bandwidth, directly taking the K8's advantage away. Shit i'm really starting to love em! Ondie memory controllers FTW!

- Architecture boost. Revamped shuffle unit for better multimetdia performance, with a 100 percent performance advantage over the older shuffler. Divider unit also improved with the addition of the Fast Radix 16 cue, boosting performance in some instructions by 75 percent. Youch. Any math performance boost is great boost for general performance if you ask me.

- SSE4. Not that supplemental SSE3 crap. This is the real deal and if you're into multimedia, this extra set of SIMDs can really give a good boost in performance.

- Not much news on this, but they do plan the return of Hypertreading with a maximum of 8 cores, which generally means, around 16 threads.

- High performance on processor intergrated graphics. Ouch. Intel actually beat AMD's Fusion to the announcement board.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It's about time for Intel to move to on-die memory controllers. :thumb: :thumb:

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

If Intel can make dirt-cheap dual core like those Pentium E which starts at $74 and can beat up an X2, I'm buying it. For real. :D

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

thing is, AMD doesn't interest in desktop market. K8L is expected to be very strong in server performance, particularly in 2p and above machine. until intel implemented point to point CPU interconnect (CSI), hehe...HT remains AMD's strongest feature..

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

But when it comes to server market... AMD isn't really getting the market share they really need to survive. I usually see customers getting XEON blades or those UNIX machines running on IBM PowerPC, SUN UltraSparc, HP PA-RISC or even the hardcore mainframe processors

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Would they make more money selling lots of cheaper desktop chips or fewer but more expensive server chips?