Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by elton, Oct 11, 2006.

1. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Last week, i went to some shop and look for drawing and this is the nice oil painting i bought.:cool:

The gal in the picture, we name her as "Fei Thian" in mandarin, as story i heard these type of girl only dance for the emperor in China last time:naughty: , so enjoy as you can view what China emperor see last time.:thumb: :wave:

Any of you having any oil painting to share please post it too :thumb:

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Wahlaueh... Elton elton... you're really on a buying spree ah?

3. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Man.. oil paintings. I used to do those, gave up after a while. Stinks up your room like mad! And to actually frame it up you need to make sure it's dried very very long, like 6 months before you even think of framing and selling it off.

I've got two oil paintings at home (not the ones I painted..) and it's too large to be digitized.. it's like 7 feet long.

4. strawroot

strawroot I Lurrrve Panda Biscuit!

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: i dont think i know how to appreciate art :faint:

5. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

hahaa... Ya i no idea why i buy so many thing these few month. May be i was waiting for the past 24 years :mrgreen:

Show some pic if able to, when i bought this it already come with the frame. The reason is because the previous buyer cancel the booking and already paid some amount that why the shop fellow frame it.

Hhehee is it because is a gal pic? :think:

6. peaz

I'd probably pick up art again as I've more space now at my current place

7. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Ya you should :thumb: which type you look into?:think:

8. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Yup, but hardly anyone sells a freshly done oil painting. For all you know that painting could have been a year old ;)

Thing is, paintings which are framed up, you gotta make sure it is completely, completely dry first, or else it would mould or crack. An improperly or insufficiently dried painting (whether oil based or water based) would mist up any glass frames, and anything that's not glass framed, try removing the frame borders after a couple of years, chances are you'll find mould or cracked/peeling paint.

That's the pain that artists go thru to sell their paintings. A lot of care and effort.

Paintings which are sun dried it our kinda climate may take shorter to dry. Like maybe 3-4 months..

9. strawroot

i display my own painting :p

10. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Ya true, as long as nice painting i do not really worry about the age. I think the longer the better some more :thumb:

We are waiting:whistle:

11. peaz

usually, oil painting are framed without a glass over it. and generally, you can indeed sell them within a couple of months. any art collectors would know better than to touch on the art itself. In fact, you don't even touch any other kind of art for that matter, not even water colour or acrylic. You won't just crack/smudge then, you will also transfer sweat/oil/etc that will damage the painting over the years!

12. peaz

abstract and still life. I suck at painting figures...:boohoo:

13. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Yea, obviously oils are not framed. And depending on the kind of canvas too, drying time can take between 2-6 months.

Well, interesting to note is those classic paintings.. touched and manhandled over the years and most of them are still going strong.

14. strawroot

my masterpiece is somewhere in the house, i hope it IS still in the house.. haha lemme search for it during raya break :dance: :dance:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... I don't like this kind of paintings... reminds me of an episode in Supernatural. Or one episode from Stephen King's short stories. That one was SCARY. The painting has a mind/life of its own. And you can't tell how old is the painting just by looking at it, can you? :think: :shifty:

16. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

I like abstract also, hardly get a reasonable price yet..Checked at HArvey Norman selling Rm1000 plus wow.. with small piece some more

Hardly got time and right place to paint an oil painting here :think:

Ya we are waiting after raya break :thumb:

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. If I'm not mistaken, those masterpieces are regularly maintained.

In fact, what we sometimes see in the gallery are actually reproductions used when the actual paintings are being restored/maintained.

18. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Yup you are right what i having now is a reproduction of master piece. The actual painting will be total of 3 in a set. What i having here is the right side on the drawing. I think you can imagine how is the middle and left side look like :D

19. strawroot

come, buy my "abstract" paintings :p 50% for u

20. strawroot

How should the middle n left look like?? :think: :think: