On-board sound or SB Live!?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Jun 13, 2003.

?

Use the...

1. SB Live!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Onboard sound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I am going to get the Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I have looked around for a while and mentioned it here, and came to that conclusion. No one can change it now.
    Any way, I currently have a SB Live! MP3+ card. (I got is as a striped down card sold as a Live! Value.)
    Which sounds better, the SB Live! or the onboard sound?
    I am currently using a 2 speaker system with a sub-woofer and plan on going to 5.1 when I am turn the sound up and not bother other people.

2. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I forgot, I want DOS support. (I like to play older games, let me be!)

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you play a lot of EAX games, I would pick SB Live definitely.

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I plan on playing some EAX games, but not much. I usually play RPG's. having a sound card with 5.1 sound is enough for that. I listion to a lot of music so I am looking to choose the best option.

5. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

Heck better get an audigy 1 (if u have the cash)for EAX Advanced HD which i heard is better than EAX 1.0 of SBLIVE :think:

6. Chai

If you actually read his post, he had already mentioned that he owns a n SBLive.

7. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

:doh: missed that ........
    :doh: :doh: :doh:

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

i'd go for the SB Live any day. the nForce2 sound is nice but lacks bass.

ok. now i'd like to 'educate' all who are posting on ARP forums.

now when a question is given to you, answer the questions. DO NOT suggest new items. DO NOT suggest alternatives..........UNLESS there is no choice/solution or the person requests it.

take for example this case. it's either A or B. don't go adding C. people obviously know there are better things around, let's all post constructive posts based on the question ok?

9. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Actually Goldfries, eventually I was going to get an Audigy 1 or 2 and I was going to ask about that after a while, so in a way Nerd simply went ahead and speed me up to a future post under a new topic. But I fully understand where you are coming from with the post as it is better to keep it in the stated or requested limits.

With bass in mind, my current speaker system, which probably won't be upgraded to 5.1 for a year, has a sub-woofer. My advantage is that the sub currently is only at a volume level of about 20-30%.

The L & R speakers have a general sound volume control knob and the sub has its own effect knob. I have my SB Live! card at all the regular settings and my speakers are doing all the real "work" Therefor, I don't see bass as a problem. (I like bass also, PC doesn't sound right without it. :) )

If bass is of no object, then what would you suggest? Remember, I do want DOS support. If the onboard sound won't support an equivalence of the SB16 in DOS, then I will use my SB Live! card. :boohoo:

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

hehe. i have sub-woofer too.

but i feel the difference between the SBlive vs Soundstorm. the storm lacks bass at same setting.

mine's an SB Live DE5.1, there no good reason for me to get Audigy.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Goldfires what does DE stand for?

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Digital Entainment.

You won't be able to get it in US.
    Well actually it's exactly the same "package" as SB gamers/mp3 in US :)
    same thing, diff model name :)

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Thanks for the explanation.
    Hey, I have had it this whole time without knowing it! :dance:

14. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Anyway the DE and Audigy price doesn't different much...Just get the Audigy 1 better... I believe u can hear the different with a good speaker :clap:

15. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

audigy DE and audigy 1 is the same thing.. just different features...

like DE comes with a firewire.. i doubt plain jane audigy one have that.
    and DE connectores are gold plated.. aud 1 plane is... nothing :)

16. Nerd@133FSB

Nerd@133FSB Newbie

Hmm... just got the Audigy 1 Asian Special Edition(wif firewire..)
    compared to my previous Vibra128 all that i can say is :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance:

Thanx to everyone who helped me in the process of buying this bugger(by providing info n stuff...)... :D

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

What is mean is SB live DE hehee :doh:

18. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

SB = Sound Blaster.

19. Chai

I think he's trying to say, 'What I meant is SB Live DE, not Audigy DE.' :)

20. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Yup Chai type salah just now...