Open source movement in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by hyper_raider, Nov 21, 2006.

1. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Hi all,
    My university (Oregon State University) is has a very strong open source movement here. We host companies like Mozilla and Drupal to name a few. The state of Oregon is also where the Open Source Development Lab(OSDL) is.

And i am wondering how is the open source scene in Malaysia? I am a big fan of the open source movement and therefore would like to see or hope to see Malaysia more involved in the open source movement.

Now my question is what do you guys think of the open source movement as a whole and what is the open source scene in malaysia like? Are they ways we can improve it? are there things that can be improved or do we just dont care? Lets discuss this here

2. hyper_raider

Responded with a resounding roar....

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Hahaha...not surprising right? :haha:

4. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Put it simply.. one of my lecturers is the founding members and even he has no idea what's happening with it.

You can google for MYOSS if you're interested. I forgot the link.

5. hyper_raider

I just want to know more about the open source movement in malaysia is and i just wanted to opinion of all the forum members

6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I suppose ARP isn't exactly the right place to ask... from my observation here, the folks here in this forum isn't much into OSS apart from using some open source apps.

The OSS movement in Malaysia is quite fragmented.. you get a OSS-UG here, another group there.. another group here, and in-fighting between the different groups... you get the gist.

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

haha what do you expect? piracy plays a big part..

8. hyper_raider

Sad to see that especially when there is so much good softwares out there which are free

Also sad to know that there is a lot of bickering among the groups especially when open source is all about the community

1 person likes this.