Overclocking Pentium D820

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by silverchair, Sep 13, 2007.

1. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

hey guys just need some help and advice:

i have some old stuff and i was trying if i can get overclock to these:

i have pentium D820, Asus p5b-vm DO motherboard and corsair 2GB pc-5400 ddr2.

i tried to overclock the proc. (stock at 2.8ghz) and the limit i can use is 235mhz fsb (from 2.8ghz to 3.2ghz).

my question is, is there any posible way to increase more or the motherboard can only overclock up to 235mhz only.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You really have to try and tell us the result. Since you already know how to overclock, it's all about trial and error.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, Chai's right. It's really all about trial and error. As for the motherboard capability, well, that's really limited by the motherboard clock generator.

You can't change the range of available clock speeds, unless they are hidden. Then you will need to either flash the motherboard BIOS to the latest version (which hopefully allows you access to the full range), or you have to hack the BIOS (no easy task).

4. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Not sure about the bus speeds, but you can check the multipliers (usually locked, but give it a try first) or the memory speeds.

I once did a Celeron D 347 (3.06) to 3.8GHz, and it is 40% faster! But 40% hotter!! :haha:

5. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

well guys i cannot get more higher on 230mhz, cause when i try more than that, my Operating system got a message, that my OS has expired or has a invalid serial key. ist posible when you made too much overclocking?

and one more thing, when trying to make it more higher, should i increase also the vcore? or just leave it to auto?

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Sounds like memory or data corruption. :think:

Well, if you are hitting a wall, increasing the vcore can help. But make sure your cooler can handle the additional heat.