passive cool ..FX60

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ZuePhok, Jul 18, 2006.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

am doing a project with the manufacturers..
    here are some pics to share..

fx 60, passive cool (thermalright HR-01) with the help of the exhaust fan.

initial setup failed after 5 mins of full load (105c)
    after some modification (no pics yet), the machine is now prime stable. full load 80c for both cores.

Im using the Core program to measure the temperature. Im not entirely sure how accurate this thing is.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      56.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      62.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      64.4 KB
      Views:
  2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

PWR temp. @ 75c.

Dun care la. short lifespan short lifespan la :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      60.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Not really passively cooled then since there's a fan...

Coretemp is not really accurate because AMD did not calibrate the temp diodes. I can see what project you are doing already. :D

4. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup. a silent PC to make everyone happy :wall:

82c. 20c improvement. but i think the Core program sucks :haha:
    V1 for the 7900GTX (swapped the 1900XTX out). the back part of V1 is "connected" to the CPU duct, and thus one exhaust fan to cool everything. really quiet. Now i hate that 150gb raptor :mrgreen: tek tek tekt ek tek..tek tke tek tek tek...tekkkkk.tekkkkk.tekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk
    ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

thats the graphics temp after a few loop of 3Dmark06.

overall, it's quiet like a library, and stable. shall run more test tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  5. Chai

You are setting up a quiet high performance PC right? Hmm...maybe you don't need a Raptor. But then again, there's no quiet 7200rpm these days...

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

The raptor has to be in. they are one of the sponsor.
    the idea is to setup a very high performance, noisy PC, and reduce the noise from there.

What PC-M USA did was they stuffed 2 thick foam on top (and bottom) of the drive. there is about 2cm seperating the foam from the drive..Im gonna try it.

7. Chai

Hmm...I'm not sure if putting foam is a good idea, especially if there's no direct fan cooling the drive. It will get very hot if there's no airflow over the drive. Raptor is a very cool running drive if there's some airflow, but if there's not...LOL! Hotter than any 7200rpm I have. I don't know if the noise from Raptor is due to vibration or just plain noise. If it's vibration, there are more methods to quiet down the drive.

Is Thermalright one of the sponsor too?

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

yup there is a 120mm fan (intake) blowing at the drive. otherwise i wouldn't do it. the cooler master mystique is a very good case.

9. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

That huge heatsink, if I'm not mistaken is around RM200. Nice cooling silent cooling system.

And it's great for my soon-to-be media centre. Wedge the heatsink onto the Sempron and over-clock it with the DFI board, you'll get much more faster Sempron!! (of course you put the fan there)

Or just put the heatsink and make a silent PC. Woohoo!!! :mrgreen:

10. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

My computer practically use this type of "passive" cooling allready, and that's with AMD's stock cooler!

- AMD's "Cool and quiet" keeps the generated heat at a minimum.
    - The motherboard's (BIOS) built in CPU fan control keeps the CPU fan off until the temperature rise quite a bit.
    - Four 12cm case fans keep the entire rig cool. (I haven't bothered to connect the fifth fan...)

Only when the CPU is under heavy load do I hear the CPU fan activate...

/Olle

11. Chai

I'm going to have a rather big project soon. But it's going to be real tough trying to quiet down a 24/7, 100% full load, overclocked system, with ambient temperature of 30+C most of the time.

Not sure if Conroe will make my life easier... :haha:

12. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

:roll:

I thought that conroe is going to run very cool.:think:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

passive cool conroe should be easier than the FX60 i used.