PCI to DRAM Prefetch?

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by cbr1000, Dec 28, 2002.

1. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

:lol: Thank You for your BOG! It has helped me dial-in my ASUS K7VT..........Possibly I overlooked the explanation for the above referenced setting? Anyway, would you please explain the meaning? The choices are: Enable/Disable. Also, you indicate that USWC is available on P6 chips but there's no reference to any others. Although I believe my Radeon 8500 is USWC compatible, should I enable USWC when running it with my AMD 900Tbird? Last but not least, K7 L2 Cache Divider has four options, Default, 1/2, 2/3 2/5........Should this be left on Default if CPU frequency is run at default setting? (If I try to increase CPU Frequency by even 1 mhz, it won't POST!) Is it necessary to change K7 L2 Cache Divider when overclocking just a little? Thanks, Mike :oops:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello cbr1000,

I'll add that to the BIOS Optimization Guide in the next revision. Have no idea how I missed that. :)

Yes, you should try USWC by all means. But as usual, disable if anything goes wrong. ;)

Hmm... If you are running a Thunderbird... then the L2 cache is running at core speed. The K7 L2 Cache Divider has no effect. Unless you are actually using the K75 core in which case the clock divider is 2/5 or 1/3. Are you using a Slot-A or Socket-A motherboard?

3. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

PCI to DRAM Prefetch

:roll: It's a slot a motherboard. Another curious thing about my bios, when Vcore was set to Auto, it ran at 1.6 volts, even though my Athlon requires 1.75 - 1.85 volts. It's much happier at 1.8! Thank You! Mike

4. Adrian Wong

Mike,

Sounds like you have an older Athlon with a K75 core... NOT a Thunderbird core. It has 512KB of external L2 cache running asynchronously with the core. As such, your L2 cache divider applies.

I think the default divider for the 900MHz K75 is 1/3 so the cache is running at 300MHz. If your processor cannot overclock when the divider is left at default (assuming it's NOT due to other causes), then you should try reducing the divider so that your cache will run at a lower speed. Unfortunately, 1/3 is the lowest divider you have.

Hmm... Your 900MHz K75 Athlon requires 1.80V... Have you updated your BIOS? If your motherboard "thinks" your Athlon requires 1.6V, perhaps it's because it's using a BIOS that was released before the 900MHz K75 Athlon was released.

Hope that helps you some! :)

5. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

;) I just used cpuid which says L2 cache =256. It also says Family.Model.Step 6 4 2........I had flashed to the latest 'beta' bios 1008d but it was a little flaky so I went back to the last supported bios 1008c. I've done some reading on the net and it seems someone is taking the ASUS K7V, flashing it with the K7VT bios and selling it as such. I have to pull my board out of the case so I can see the back of the pcb to verify. I'll let you know. Mike

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Can you take a screenshot of your WCPUID?

7. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

:cry: Sorry, I don't have a clue how to take a screenshot. Is there software I can download for that? As it stands, right now, if I run cpuid and right click on it, nothing pops up. Guess I'll search for software now. Thanks, Mike

8. Chai

Make sure the WCPUID is the active window. Click Alt-PrtScn. Then go to Paint and paste it there.

9. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

OK, so far so good............Now What :?: Thanks for all your help! BTW, Where is Maranelo :?: Mike

10. Chai

Maranelo is the home of Ferrari factory! :)

11. Adrian Wong

Hello cbr1000,

You can post the screenshot here so that we can all have a look.

Thanks!

12. cbr1000

cbr1000 Newbie

I'm sorry guys, I must be a moron. I've never tried to post an image before. I just read all about BBCode, it says I can't display an image directly from my pc :( Point me in the right direction and I'll gladly post my cpuid screenshot. BTW, cpuid was downloaded from AMD's website, is it the same as wcpuid that you referenced? Thanks, Mike ;)

13. Chai

Don't worry mate, everyone has/was been a newbie. :) You have to upload your image to a website and remote link from that site.

We might be implementing uploading image feature into the forum.