Pepper Sprays allowed in Malaysia?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by marc, May 7, 2006.

1. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hey all.

Just wondering. Are pepper sales allowed to be sold in Malaysia? If yes, then is there a permit needed to own one?

Since it is kind of regarded as a weapon, and also recently (or not so recent) there have been cases of crimes being done by using the pepper spray as a weapon.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. ;)

2. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

I used to have one, and a lot of my girlfriends have one too.

It's legal, I presume. Not sure how many places sell it over here in KL, but I Need House does sell them.

It's not a weapon, it's a tool of self-defense. But every tool can be a weapon, just like how I can learn kung fu for self defense and just turn it against another person and use it as a weapon to whack a person up. It's subject to context of use..

3. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Hi djspinnet. Didn't know could find them at shops. May i ask where is this I-Need-House located? i've not heard of it before.

Actually, IIANM, a pepper spray is classified as quite high profile. somewhere near a taser-gun (which is definitely illegal to own).

I'm actally posing this question because i've not found any shops selling them. They usually have those loud-horns and stuff but that's about it. :D

4. cypris

cypris Newbie

You can get pepper sprays in watsons outlets as well.

5. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Thanks for the info, cypris. never noticed that. XD

Will check out Watson's soon.

Apparently Malaysian law does not allow pepper sprays to be sold or even owned without a license.

6. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Thing with Watsons is, it's not always there all the time. In some outlets they don't stock it, in some, they do.

I need house has an outlet in Sunway Pyramid. Don't know if it has shops anywhere else.

P/S: It's actually a condom shop, but it sells also anti-female harassment stuff like pepper sprays and alarms, so don't get the wrong idea about that shop.

7. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

watson n guardian pharmacy got sell it..i think around 14 bucks or lesser..

any story of the case dat use pepper spray as weapon

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ace Hardware sells em. Those are the higher quality ones though. And believe me, those hurt like hell unlike the pharmacy ones... LOL!!!!

I tested both (the pharmacy one started leaking and wouldn't spray properly.) The ACE hardware one was really powerful. I sprayed it away from me, only to have a big gust of wind blow it back to me 1/2 a second later... :wall: :boohoo: LOL!!!!!!:shifty:

I got the pharmacy one in my eye coz it felt tingly when I wiped my eyes with my fingers (i didn't notice the leak until my eyes felt tingly coz it leaked all over my fingers.) But all I felt was tingly. The other one, my throat was burning, eyes were burning, nostrils were burning. LOL! :faint:

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Haha.. I was about to mention Ace Hardware. :mrgreen:

10. angel1011

angel1011 Baby-DeeNoo

there's a I Need House at Mid Valley as well. 3rd floor / cinema level. And at Times Square.

you can also find pepper sprays at Guardian.

Honestly it's first time I heard you cannot own a pepper spray without licence. :shock:

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

*Imagining PsYkHoTiK's experience...*

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :thumb: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:shifty:

Hmm... I think I should get one too... in case a dog tries something funny. :think: Will check out at the nearby Watson. :p

12. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

Real men dont use pepper spray:hand:

....they use Kung Fu and sometime Chuck Norris roundhouse kick ftw..:thumb:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

ditto!

14. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

LMAO. Some of you guys replies here are so funny. :haha: :haha:

Btw, guess what i found:
    In translation to english:
    Source: Royal Malaysian Police ~ http://www.rmp.gov.my/rmp03/lesen.htm

Looks like one needs a license not only to sell, but to own one as well. :mrgreen:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Everyone needs to own license to use Windows, Adobe Photoshop, etc. but how many does? :shifty: :shhh:

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL!:haha:

17. doraemon

doraemon Just Started

you can get the "weapon" from Carefour, Tesco, 7-11, Watson, Guardian and dunno where else :eh:

Anything can be weapon....steering lock, chair, stone we pick beside the road and even martial art. So how? Need to apply license for it?:eh:

18. cypris

cypris Newbie

what inspired you to waltz into a condom shop? :wicked:

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

I think the answer's very obvious, don't you agree? *RUN JEREMY, RUN*

20. fyire

fyire Newbie

For the curious, the sensation of pepper spray against the skin feels like sun burn, and also for the curious, dun try it out in an enclosed space without proper ventilation