Phenon II X3 720 only showing one core

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Deathsman, May 31, 2009.

1. Deathsman

Deathsman Newbie

Just upgraded with new Gigabyte motherboard and a PhenonII X3 720. Task manager and CPU-Z are only showing one core. I'm running XP Pro w/ SP3. What am I missing here? If the other two cores are really there how do I verify it? Thanks.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you update the motherboard BIOS?

3. Deathsman

Deathsman Newbie

I've got the latest BIOS.

It doesn't makes sense, but I can see the cores now. I ran a repair of XP and all three cores were there. I ran into some other problems but I'm working through them now.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Probably a driver issue since Windows XP was out way before the Phenoms.

5. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

remember to install the "Amd Driver" that comes with the CD of the mobo, or download the latest frm the Gigabyte website. Basically I think you can't go wrong if you install everything off the CD.

I am using Phenom 720 on win xp as well, & such issue never occured even after 2 initial fresh installation. btw, i'd stick to SP2 unless you really need the security fix from SP3. SP3 never fails to give me weird random crashes that NEVER happens with SP2.

*if it aint broken, dont fix it*

6. Earnhardt09

Earnhardt09 Newbie

Could you show us a screenshot of your CPU-Z? All tabs?

I'm pretty sure there is an option in the interface to take a screenshot, please do so and get back to us. Hopefully we can be of service.

Also, are you looking closely at the information? Where exactly does it say one processing core?

7. eddie_al

eddie_al Newbie

Borrowing this thread since the issue is on phenom ii 720be.

i manage to get the 4th core unlocked stable after asus finally supports unlocking officially. (bios update & presentation on the new ACC unleashed feats)

so, now i've gotten myself a phenom ii x4 20 instead of the 720be. tested it with gaming session and 3dmark, everything seems normal. even CnQ is working as it should. 3Dmark06 got an increase of 1000+. but im very new to bios setting, so i left everything to 'Auto'.

is there any need to adjust voltage just to make sure it is absolutely ok & safe? (i don't want to fry my proc,=.=) or it's good enough to leave it as it is now? thx forward.

btw, here's the link for the cpu-z validation. everything @ stock.

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009