PhysX On RADEON 38xx

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by iModAMD, Jun 26, 2008.

1. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

I don't know if NGOhq is bullshitting but it looks they found an way to put Physx drivers on 3xxx series...

Here the link

[​IMG]

If that's appears to be true it's would be kick ass :thumb:

Another way to bluff the system :wicked:

Update : He claims it will only works on the 38xx series for now because because AMD thinks NGOHQ.com is not worthy enough to borrow review samples.

-The mod will work with VISTA and XP (x32-x64)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Shall try it to see if it works or not :D..will reply here A.S.A.P :D

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Let us know Lacus don't have an HD38xx card here Bro :D

:roll:

And the world is actually flat right ?

4. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Rolf good one :p

5. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Ummm...

...so how exactly would that work if ATI hadn't implemented the PhysX API/command set on their chippery?

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

modded driver if i'm not mistaken...have to try it when it's out =/

7. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Sure...but I'm presuming that there are hardware-specific calls involved there that, on an ATI board, have no hardware to call on. Especially granted that I'm sure ATI hasn't tried any CUDA stuff or anything yet...

Seems vaguely like saying "oh, I got Alpha code to run on an ARM processor" :confused:

8. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

ATI has Havok if that's what you mean.

9. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

sames goes for Nvidia..I doubt they have the Physx hardware on their cards ;)

10. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...I guess I assumed that they would have adapted the Physx commands to their hardware though - would they have been daft enough to make it so generic it could run on anybody's card? Try it on a Kyro II.

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Do you really think it must have PhysX hardware in order to work?

12. Midicow

Midicow Newbie

Since both ATI and NVIDIA cards have a C++ ish programming language, both can be programmed..

If nvidia can program the nvidia card to run physics operations,
    then the ati card can be programed to run physics operations.

13. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

You have an GOOD example... the same guy who is making the driver(REGENERATION) tried the new drivers on his 8800GT (who dont have any PHYSIX hardware) and he got like 1200 pts more in 3d mark... so i think you dont need physx hardware all can be reprogramed ... you just need to know how... anyways.I remember the old slogan of NVIDIA ... who is about the same than now

World Leader in Programmable Graphics...

Give you an hint ;)

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, both ATI and NVIDIA GPUs are now based on the unified architecture, which means their stream processors are really general processors that can be programmed to do virtually anything. Kinda like a CPU.

The NVIDIA PhysX, as we covered here, is a software solution that makes use of the GPU's stream processors. It doesn't require any special PhysX hardware. So it's not inconceivable that AMD-ATI might be able to do the same thing.

Basically, it's about accelerating PhysX using the GPU instead of the CPU. Even NVIDIA has only managed to get two applications to support PhysX on the GPU even though there are even more applications that support PhysX. These only process PhysX on the CPU or the AGEIA PhysX PPU for now.

15. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...apparently I over-read how important the hardware aspect of the PhysX engine was.

If it can be done through pure software...why did PhysX ever have hardware to begin with, like the Aegia card?

16. Chai

It's not pure software. It's just to drivers that take advantage of the multipurpose GPU that's more than capable of just rendering graphics. It's even capable of doing Folding@Home. So what do you think?

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, Asus still selling their Ageia Physx card here..I wonder is it any difference from using the card with using the software based physx =/

18. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I guess that's what I'm getting at...if what they do is un-hardware-specific enough to run on the GPU anyway, is there actually a point to the Ageia card?

...and if they didn't need the hardware, why didn't they just start at the beginning as a software technology?

19. Chai

Er...if it's software, it would use CPU. Back to square one.

20. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Exactly !!