Plagiarism - Well And Alive!

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Nov 15, 2005.

1. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

Believe that most college students passes the exam by using the information they got from books/internet/etc.
    They usually end up rewording or applying the knowledge to a certain problem area (Why re-invent the wheel ?).

Also prefere that the source of the information is shown, but I don't see it as a "criminal" intend if it isn't done (Again if no financial gain is intended).

To me it looks like Michael have picked out certain BIOS settings, that he feels that are important to configure. It is merely a subset of the HUGE amount of settings that are documented here. It is probably easier for some to go through the subset, than to wade through the entire guide.

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

In this case it is not the whole guide, and one could take it as a compliment :)

It is kind of annoying to carry a text-file around where ever you go. It much easier to have it on a website, so one can access it where one go.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

*Suddenly reminded of wodenus*

If its easier to have it on a website...
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=9

there....

In college there's this thing called citations... Plagiarism? College has severe penelties for that.

There are people who quote from the BOG. The difference is, credit is given. It makes a world of differences.

You think adrian is taking these things as a compliment?

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

It is often easier to look in notes than look through the entire book.
    For students it is mainly to ensure that people actually make an effort to learn and reflect.
    Agree that it is always nice to give credit, but if for personal use then I don't see it as a requirement.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If it's published on the internet, do you consider that as personal use? :roll:

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

No-no, the problem here is it's not Michael's personal use. He published on the Internet... and told people he did all the research, and all that writing was done by him and him alone. Others please spread the word about my "work". :haha:

While it's ok to publish any guide on your site for personal use, but at least put a sentence there saying you got this guide from where, etc and also don't say it's your own work, well... it's your own work copying that is. :mrgreen:

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

lol.... Why are u going off topic... :p

I made examples and now thats the topic of discussion? :mrgreen:

8. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

Agree that the action of publishing his guide on different news site is closer to the line of professional than personal use. But what if a "fan" of the guide did it ?
    It is work to go through many sources and extract information related to a certain topic (There is more than one page in Michael's guide)

I'm just trying to say that not all types of plagiarism are intended, maybe Michael did cross the line with getting publishen on different news sites, but it doens't mean that every type of plagiarism should be hunted down like witches.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you are new to this guy, but he has crossed the line since a long time ago (in internet terms that is). Just look at the old ARP site, he plagiarised back in 2001! Only criminals will commit a crime twice or more! :twisted:

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Archive/05_2001.htm

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not the same as copying from the book. They are merely applying their knowledge. :mrgreen:

Well, even in educational institutions, that's considered criminal enough to boot students out. ;)

Actually, that's not really true. If you check the date of his guide, you will note that it was posted some time ago. The reason why you don't see even more BIOS options in his guide is because the site posted it some time ago.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh, so it should only be considered plagiarism if he copied the ENTIRE guide? :roll:

LOL! I wonder if Anandtech or HardOCP would appreciate my compliments if I plagiarized their reviews and articles? :mrgreen:

It IS on a website. :mrgreen:

If he can access his own website, he sure as heck can access ARP.

Seriously, that's a really lame excuse. :haha:

12. Adrian Wong

Exactly. :roll:

13. Adrian Wong

A fan wouldn't do this. :hand:

As much work as actually researching and creating the guide? :shifty:

Okay, what kind of plagiarism should not be hunted down like witches? :mrgreen:

Let me remind you that plagiarism is not only about copying people's work, it's also TAKING CREDIT for the copied work. I'm just reminding you because you have been quoting things like copying for own use, etc. That's not plagiarism.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Okay just because he plagiarise just merely a subset of the HUGE amount of settings from the BOG, then it is okay? :mrgreen: he should at least give credit to the original author instead of claiming that all those are his work :whistle:

problem is, he claimed other people's work as his own. "This guide is created by Michael. feel free to contact him if you have any question about anything contained in this guide" my oh my :)

Personal use? "This section of GDF is dedicated to bring you all the tricks to getting the most out of Windows 2000" I don't think so :p

15. snakefoot

snakefoot Newbie

I'm just trying to say that when not doing school work or publishing boos/articles for personal gain, then one shouldn't expect people to be all professional in their writting.

I really don't care where the information comes from, just it is easily available and provides the clues that I need. I'm a consumer :)

Still I agree that it is nice to give credit, and that publishing a guide to several news sites is not usually a sign of it being a "personal" guide.

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Ur a consumer. That tard is a rip off... A cheat. However u slice it. See the difference? He's not using it for his own personal self. He's tellin other people that it's his.

I find it appalling that you can't see the difference and are arguing on different things.

17. Adrian Wong

No, that was not what you were saying at all. ;)

In any case, what has not being professional in their writing have anything to do with plagiarism? :wicked:

Are you wodenus? :wicked: