Prepare to Skylake OGL Cinebench WRs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trodas, Jul 14, 2015.

1. trodas

trodas Newbie

China based web TechBang showed (and then quicky removed, but what was once on the net... you know :D ) some Skylake comparsions to Haswell. Let's start with CPU-Z and GPU-Z screens:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Vcore looks too low to me to be true, but whatever. The tests showed that on average, the Skylake is only about 6.1% faster that Haswell. In some tests is even slower. But there are some instances, where it is 29.1% faster, like the Cinebench 15 OpegGL test:

[​IMG]

So to put long story short, expect some Cinebench OGL world records on HWbot pretty soon :D

BTW, as for APU performance, Intel lose big time. AMD Kaveri A10-7870K is getting in the Sky Diver test (witch is very closely tied to the games real world gaming framerates) 6400 points, however Skylake reach only 4650 points. Without eDram's Kaveri stayed unbeated.

Skylake až o 29 procent rychlejÅ¡Ã* než Haswell | Diit.cz
    Intel Skylake: Benchmarks vergleichen Core i7-6700K und Core i7-4790K - ComputerBase
    http://www.techbang.com/posts/24629...aymore-motherboard-measured-experience?page=2 (removed)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, core voltage only 0.4V? But it would be nice if it's really that low. :mrgreen:

3. trodas

trodas Newbie

Yep, but that is probably only w/o load. As you can see, it downclocked to ~800MHz with multiplier x8.

It would be much better if they let run some load on all the CPU cores before taking this screenshot.

What I find odd on the Skylake is, that the TDP is 95W, with allegedly 14nm technology. Now the previous Haswell with allegedly 22nm technology had TDP 88W.
    Both CPU's do 4GHz under multicore load, but Haswell do 4.4GHz, while Skylake do only 4.2GHz.

Into the TDP is simply not counted the TDP of the graphic part, so there is no excuse for the higher TDP at all. Unless the "14nm" process have higher leakage, witch lead to the higher TDP that the 22nm process.

That could possibly also explain the lower "turbo" clock... :roll: All in all, not only the alleged nm is scam ( Comparsion of the manufacturing processes of Intel, Samsung and TSMC - 14nm proces infografika | Diit.cz - to put it short, the "xx nm" does not reflect anything anymore on the reall dimensions on these chips ), but maybe we reached the very end, where the smaller process is not beneficial anymore and best is the Intel "22nm" process used in Haswell...?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, it looks like Intel has run into trouble with their process technology. 14nm Broadwell was delayed and now, their Cannonlake 10nm CPUs will now be delayed by at least another 6 months.

I think we can expect a change in cadence from tick-tock-tick-tock to tick-tock-tock... tick-tock-tock in the future. It's getting really tough in making them smaller.

5. trodas

trodas Newbie

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...That's really low for idle voltage. I undervolted my 4690K to 0.6V. This explains why the idle power consumption is lower than Haswell.

I believe the higher TDP is due to higher end integrated graphics with eDRAM.