Priniting issue

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by NMBPmike, Apr 3, 2009.

1. NMBPmike

NMBPmike Newbie

We have 15+ network printers that as of Monday began to start working inproperly. They are all IP printers. Some are on a single print server some are their own local print server. We are seeing event ID 5502 (DNS), 1220 (NTDS LDAP), 50 (termDD), and 5504 (DNS) warnings and errors through out all of our domain controls and DNS servers. We have rebooted all DC, and DNS servers. We have a trusted Domain between our old NT domain and our current 2003 domain. we have tried to add the printers to our DNS Forwards and Reverse settings. If we turn off the printer and turn it back on they work for about 10 minutes. All the printers are spread out on different Switches through out the building ruling out a port/switch issue. We also can change the option from printing by IP to HTTP and it works but this is only a teporary solutions. Need help fast this has been going on for two days now and seems to be getting worse. :wall:

thanks
    NMBPmike

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Not familiar with network printers. Will get my bro to check on this.

3. jwsk

jwsk Newbie

Hi there,

Network printers uses IP just like any other devices in your network. I doubt the DNS entries have anything to do with this issue - unless of course if your network printers have hostnames that requires to be resolved.

From your description above, it seems that the environment has many dependencies (i.e. AD, OS versions, printer types, etc) It's gonna be quite a feat to troubleshoot your issues through a forum. Nevertheless, here are some places that I would start looking:

1. Isolate your print server from the network segment and see if it prints or not. Again this depends if the user's printing rights is tied to the AD policy. I would suggest to do it in a Workgroup environment.
    2. If you are using a dedicated print server, try using the Windows Server print server.
    3. Check the Event Viewer to see the corresponding error when a user fails to print a document.
    4. Check the Print Spooler Service to ensure that it is running and the service did not terminated. It is known to happen especially when your servers are in a terminal services environment.

My point of view would be to engage some expert to look into your environment if all else fails.

Thank you.