Problem Starting Windows

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gasjatt, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

i need help on my home PC. When booting up, it lets me choose whether to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration or start windows normally. I tried every options everytime it goes to the Windows startup screen, it'll load for a while then restarts itself, and it goes to the option screen again.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, AMD Athlon XP, Ati Radeon 9200se, MSI KT6V mobo, AMIBIOS version 3.31a

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Even safe mode is a no go? Wow. looks like one of the windows drivers is corrupted or something. Hmm perhaps you might need to pop in the windows CD and get the setup CD to repair windows?

3. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

wat is ur boot sequence?

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I agree with Ken, you should try a repair-install.

5. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

1st boot - Floppy, 2nd boot - cd-rom, 3rd boot - HDD
    i dont think that's the problem cause before it restarts itself it's already into the Windows loading screen.

Will try that but will have to get my Windows CD back first... will update in a few days...

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

But do remember that you'd lose all the windows updates and you'll need to reupdate them all.

7. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

will i lose all my files? cause i have some important documents in my HDD

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Nothing will be changed except Windows files. Document And Setting folders are untouched.

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I just saw a system at my office which has the same symptom. But this one when loading Windows, there's a flash of blue screen then system will restart. Managed to use a camera to capture the video and found out the blue screen is code is 0x0000007B. This happens during the unattend Windows XP download process. So, may not be the same with your problem.

Anyway, do you see any blue screen as soon as the Windows loading bar disappears and before it restarts? :think:

10. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

no blue screen, after the loading screen it just went blank and restarts.

Got my windows CD but there's no repair-install, can only install a fresh copy of windows. will i lose my files if i install a fresh copy? do i need to reinstall the drivers?

11. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Ok, i just connected the HDD into my other PC, went to MyComputer and tried to view the HDD, it says 'drive not accessible, error performing inpage operation'. I checked disk management and it says the freespace is 100% even though i have files on it. The HDD is F:\
    untitled.JPG
    Is it the HDD's problem? if so how can i retrieve my files on the HDD?

12. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. That does NOT sound good. Try booting up using your Windows XP CD. Can Windows XP see your partition?

If so, drop to the repair console and try to chkdsk the drive. See if it can repair the error.

13. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

WindowsXP CD can detecet my HDD. Ran chkdsk but says can't finish due to some hard disk error.

Can anyone recommend a good HDD recovery programme? one that can be used on a HDD that can't be read at all?

14. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Sounds like a really bad problem. No idea what chkdsk posted exactly?

I think Dashken can help you with a software that can retrieve some data, but as far as the drive is concerned, it's at the end of its life. :(

15. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My best recommendation would be backup as much data as possible, then use a proper HDD utility to reset all the bits to 0. Start from scratch.

16. Gasjatt

Gasjatt Newbie

Already formatted the HDD and install everything from scratch, can't get my data back anymore....T.T
    Thanks for the help anyway...

17. Adrian Wong

No problem. Do give your hard drive a good diagnostic check. Look for bad sectors. If you detect them... you might want to prepare migrating to a new hard drive. :think: