PROTON'S CHOPPER

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by wiiz, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, it depends a lot on the quality of the belt. Is it a Proton part? Or a third-party one? :think:

BTW, it also depends on proper installation. If it's properly installed, you should NOT hear squeaking noises. If you don't have it installed properly, it may break earlier than rated.

2. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. What's the average like??? :D

Yeah, it's expensive to repaint any car. :(

3. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Uh twice a month maybe. The top has been discolored and have large whitish splotches (these are not bird crap). It seems that the paint isn't the highest quality.

Well, the paint isn't that important according to my pa - what's really important is the functioning brakes and the timing belts.:mrgreen:

4. Adrian Wong

Well, that is true.. although I would like to state that the timing belt isn't THAT important. If it breaks, your car just lose engine power. You can still glide to the side.

But if you do not have working brakes.. or worse, bad tyres, then you are in real trouble. Having a tyre burst when you are running at over 100 km/h on the highway spells BIG TROUBLE. So, tyres are really a LOT more important than the timing belt.

5. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I agree - a broken timing belt can only wreck the engine at worst. The tyres and the brakes are far more important there. :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

A lot of things should be replaced before it's broken, especially timing belts.

7. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Umm.... Timing belts ARE important. Especially on interference engines.

Break one and quite frankly you break the engine. You won't just lose power.... That is a very misguided view.

Lets say the timing belt snaps. What you will get is a seized engine.

Cams shafts will stop, cam valves will be lowered into the chamber and the piston head will come crashing into it (a very good mathematical possibility). Considering an engines RPM, it will not only result in a bent valve, but pitted if not destroyed piston, bits of metal will still be in the cylinder and continually pounded by the fast pulping piston, which could in turn damage the cylinder and or the engine header.

You will be looking at a complete engine overhaul right there. Followed by new pistons and valves, head work, and maybe perhaps cylinder work (as a result of potential scoring, etc). Thats pretty much the whole engine... :think:

So yea. Not important and simply coast to the side eh? :mrgreen:

Also just because you don't have an interference engine, its no excuse to be lazy. There are equal amounts of interference and none interference designs. For example, all Toyota VVTi engines are all interference design (but most like mine utilizes a timing chain).

A former neighbor of mine who was a mechanic had a timing belt snap while he was driving, he mad jammed the brakes to keep damage to a minimal (needed new valves though).

Tires and brakes are cheaper then a whole new engine. :mrgreen:

A seized engine is equally as dangerous at high speeds as blown tire (at least tires have some run flat ability.) :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  8. Chai

Timing belt is part of the regular wear and tear parts, and if you follow your service manual properly, it shouldn't cause you any problems. That's why service manual history is so important when buying second hand cars.

9. Adrian Wong

Crap.. I was thinking of the drive belt. :wall: :wall:

Sorry, sorry.. Hahaha...

10. Adrian Wong

The thing is.. timing belts are supposed to be replaced how often? :think:

According to the mechanics here... every 75,000 km. But from what I read, timing belts should be able to do at least 100,000 km with some manufacturers claiming theirs will last the lifetime of the engines... :think:

11. Chai

It should be stated in the service manual.

12. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Service manual is VERY important (as is a service history).

The ones that say will last a lifetime is a timing chain. Those won't wear out but the tension needs to be checked in some intervals. A lot of newer engines is using this.

The belt will always wear out.

People usually change out the waterpump with the timing belt (due to it being inaccessible).