PSP = The ultimate talisman

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by Majormaggot, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

Ok i don't know if u guys have talked about the psp yet, but i got one not to long ago and thought, "Meh, it ain't that great". Then threw in into the top drawer of my desk untill i discovered that there were people putting customer firmware on it. After that this thing has never left my side. Its one thing to be able to play games, watch videos, listen to mp3s. But now that it's running on custom firmware, i can make it into a GPS receiver, wifi scanner, theres programs to run on it that allows u to instantly check ur email, rss feeds, acess my home network from anywhere. And now sony's saying their gonna bring skype to it in the near future. All i can say is if u don't have one, get one... this thing has changed my life (well just a lil anyways).

see pics below of it running diff proggies.

Attached Files:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

GPS receiver? How do you do that? Using a BT GPS dongle?

3. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

MapThis software

click linky and download the mapthis software for the psp. (u will need to be running Custom firmware on the psp). Then choose the gps receiver of ur liking. theres the psp-290 (sony's gps receiver) which connects to the top usb port of the psp. Pro's/con's of it: the sony psp gps receiver is small and easy to connect but it doesn't have very good reception and take a long time to acquire signal.

The other option is to use a gps receiver like the Holux GPSlime 236 (the one it the first pic of previous post), It has great reception and is quick to acquire signal, only problem is u need a special cable to connect it to the psp. I made a custom on by taking the headphone remote cable and putting a usb min-b connector on the other end (see pic). then u just plug and play.

Attached Files: