Q6600 versus E6850

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by silverchair, Jul 26, 2007.

1. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

Hi

anyone guys out there can give any comparison of these two processors? I read some discussions about these two but just wanna know here and to all of you guys the pros and cons, the benchmark, multitasking, gaming and overclocking.

So that it can give me an idea if i have to move on to quad core (which i dont know if it is really a strong move to these proccie to go mainstream) or stick with dual core and wait for the Q2 2008 for finalizing quad core processors.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL, this is probably the toughest question to answer. Seriously, you cannot go wrong with either one. Intel makes our live difficult by pricing them exactly the same.

But to make it simple for you, this is how I'm going to summarise:
    Choose E6850 if:
    1. Higher clock speed is your priority
    2. Better overclocking
    3. Cooler
    4. Do not utilise much multithreading applications

Choose Q6600 if:
    1. You are not planning to upgrade for the next 2 years
    2. Crysis, UT3 are your future must have games due to quad core support.
    3. Have very high end water cooling and good motherboard for quad core overclocking.
    4. You do a lot of 3d rendering and video encoding.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

OCing with a quad is no easy feat cooling wise. No question that the CPU will clock pretty decent. It's the temps that worry. If people run a dedicated 120.3 rad on a quad and with a good WB and pump and still get very high load temps, its a beast. :o

4. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

@Chai

"very high end water cooling" this is one of the reasons i always read if you choose q6600. even me i noticed the temperature issue of q6600. but for the sake of upgrading parts for long, q6600 is better to be choose because like what you said, in 2 years i dont think dual core like e6850 would still a big bang for users.

Ok, lets say you guys got reasong what to choose between those 2, quad core and quad core extreme, any difference? cause one of my friends, using qx6700 @3.0 Ghz only using Enzotech Ultra X Cpu Cooler and Abit Fatal1ty F-190 HD.

Ist means that qx6700 is lil bit cooler than q6600 or ist just a good HSF?

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

X = unlocked multiplier

and most of the time, better overclockers.

6. Chai

QX6700 will not be cooler than Q6600. In fact the new G0 Q6600 will have lower TDP than the older B3 steppings.

Just to let you know, I've just gotten E6850. :D

7. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

"Just to let you know, I've just gotten E6850."

Wha!!!!:shock:

LICH!!!!:lol:

8. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

Haha thats mean you prefrfered to chosse E6850 than Q6600.

But am i rght? E6850 is running @ 1333Mhz compared to q6600 @ 1066Mhz. which is i have to use motherboard than can support up to 1333Mhz fsb? Becuase i have to motherboard, the fatal1ty f-190 HD and Asus p5b-VM DO both supports 1066Mhz FSB

9. Chai

LOL, yeah. If you want 1333Mhz support, you might have to look at P35 chipset.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

965chipset will run 1333MHz fsb just fine. if you get a quality board, no additional adjustment is required apart from keying in 333 in the box.

overclocking quad core isn't exactly an enjoyable experience for malaysian, thanks to the warm ambient throughout the year. this chip a steamengine, so hot that I got fed up and sold off my qx6700 3 weeks after i got it. if you want it stock, then the Q6600 is a very nice chip to have, especially if you do alot of video & graphics processing. However, do expect a much slower gaming performance (as compared to the E6850)

11. empire23

empire23 BRB. Attacking Russia

Take the CQ lol. With Multithreading being the new big thing, i don't see why not :p. Might as well migrate my STORM onto it too.

12. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

so i guess some of you guys sounds like you still preffer to use e6850 rather than q6600. it seems that q6600 is still not polished very clear.

But if im goin to choose e6850, how long those dual cores would have a big name since quad cores are appearing right now? would it be easy to sell it to others those dual cores if quad cores are finally overtake them?

13. Chai

This is exactly the reason why I'm NOT getting C2Q. Because it's a new thing and its not fully optimised. I will get it when 'ready'. I mean I'm still happily using my A64 3200+ now. No complains.

14. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

@Chai

Even me im still enjoying using my E6600 (also dual core proc like pentium D 915 hehehe), for me im still confusing about quad cores especially q6600, and i dont wanna waste money even if they made already the price drop. Even more confusing for me is when they realising quad core extreme so early above q6600

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I just bought a E6850. In transit! :mrgreen: I originally wanted a Quad but I was immensely put off by the heat output. o_0

Dedicated loops that still can't tame the temps. No thanks. :hand:

16. Chai

If you already have E6600, I don't advise you to upgrade at all. Most of us are upgrading from A64.

17. Trinity

Man you guys are making me think my e6600 seems old... And I just got it!:doh:

Ah,,, like what Zue says... If I want 3G @1333fsb, All I have to do is set a box to 333. Runs it easy.:)

Eh, here is a slightly off topic question, I have a asus P5B Deluxe Mobo, And on new egg specs and in the mobo manual it mentions nothing about quad core support. But on the top of the mobo box it clearly says "support for quad core". What gives? You think p5bd/p965 supports quad core or not?:think:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It should, probably just needs a BIOS update. :D

19. Trinity

"I just bought a E6850. In transit!"

You too!!!:faint:

LICH!!!:lol::thumb:

what mobo?

20. Trinity

bios update eh?:think:

Not like im gonna get a quad anytime soon. Happy with e6600.:)