Q9300 or Q6600

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by starboykb, Oct 15, 2008.

1. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

getting quad processor. New RTS game going to optimize next year so i shouldn't be missing it out on my upgrade.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Quad Core is a serious watse of money TBH, especially for gaming purposes. Since graphics is almost always the bottleneck these days.

I would only recommend quad core if you do a lot of multi tasking, video encoding, photo editing, CAD etc.

Core 2 Duo is fast due to the fact that it's already very very fast as a single core, and don't forget, C2D usually has higher clock speed than C2Q at the similar price range. There's hardly any game with SMP support today. Are you going to buy C2Q for a single game next year?

3. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i dont think C2Q is that bad actually, yes i do multitask everyday and i tried core 2 D. i still feel very slow using it. i just want a system could last me at least 3 years for next upgrade.

4. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

I wonder how you guys think? Im into budget and heavy multitask works. I wonder Q6600 is enough for me since its a old cpu and I read Q9300 is way better than Q6600. of course i played mostly RTS games.

So, what you think, guys. :think:

5. Chai

Personally, I think C2Q is bad. :mrgreen: High power consumption, slower at single task, and it's more expensive. It's much hotter than C2D, double the heat output for minimal gain on most usage. I've tested C2Q before (it was C2 Extreme though). There's a lot of bottleneck in a PC, and usually CPU is not one of them. HDD is the slowest component in a PC, are you sure it's not due to that?

Honestly, I'm wondering, how heavy multitasker are you into? What software do you use mostly that requires that much CPU power?

6. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

photoshop, Folding Home, burning music and video, online games and surfing of course watch movies at the same time.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Q9300 is much faster but games won't benefit from it.

You will only notice the difference if you do a lot of video/audio encoding, photoshop, benchmarks etc. Quads are pretty much "useless" for most of other applications.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Are you serious? :haha:

Only photoshop and folding will benefit from quad core.

9. Chai

Only folding will benefit from quad core. And be prepared to have a very very hot room. Been there, done that. :haha:

Photoshop, maybe, especially if you play with raw files, and a lot of filters.

10. fapDaddy

fapDaddy Newbie

like what max always say, "buy few raptors and run raid 0", will have obvious improvement in speed for sure.:wicked:

11. Chai

Not really. Transfer rate is not everything. That's why servers are still using 15k rpm drives, not 7200rpm.

12. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

what? I dont think anything wrong with that. if i could do all in the same time it would be better.

13. Chai

Well to be honest, I think there's something wrong with that. How are you going to edit photo, watch movie, play online games all at the same time? Even if you have quad monitors, you only have a single mouse to control the cursor.

Burning music and video don't really need CPU power, but HDD speed, especially when you do something else, HDD will have a tough time feeding the data to the burner.

Like I mentioned earlier, it could have been slow HDD causing the lagginess, not C2D.

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly :haha: How is it possible to edit photo, watch movies and play online games at the same time?

To me, quad is only useful when:
    - You do a lot of video encoding.
    - You do some really heavy photoshop like what Chai mentioned.
    - You want to do folding faster.
    - You want to boost your benchmark scores.
    - You want to boost your e-penis.
    - You want to be hardcore, you want to be cutting edge, you want the latest tech, you want... (refer to above)

Truth is, there are too little applications that can truly utilize quad core, video encoding is the only practical thing where quad core truly shines. The rest are mostly benchmarks. Not to mention quad is totally "useless" when it comes to gaming. In fact, even dual core is not fully utilized in a lot of applications. A higher clocked dual core is bound to perform better than quad core in a lot of cases (in real world).

15. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

i think that was the dumb thing to write if i want to be hardcore and just for benchmark because i want to get a budget Quad? :nuts:, you got to be kidding me calling me a hardcore who going for budgets. :haha:

I dont think having a Quad CPU ready in your PC is "useless", im sure it will be useful sooner (next year) or later. Yes, its true it wont fully utilized the rest of the core and i agree what you said. it seem to me you guys really doesnt like Quad CPU. :wicked:

16. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

Why not, you play the online game, let your character idle or chat with others in window mode. :lol:, you can just let the movies run, thats all. Do your photo editing at second monitor, that's it. i dont see anything wrong.

I dont know about the burning data, but i do encounter errors on my nero burning if i used too much on the CPU. right now its better now because i used imgburn or CDburnerXP freeware to do it.

17. Chai

Yes, we hate quad core. It's not like we cannot afford. :haha: We bought E6850 instead of Q6600 when both were about the same price, and guess which one we chose?

We upgraded from E6850 to E8400. The reason is simple, much higher clockspeed and much easier to overclock to 4GHz. It will whoop quad core's ass if most applications. And it's also much much cooler.

Chatting is not that CPU demanding. Dual Core is easily capable of handling such tasks. It's not like Dual Core is not capable of multitasking efficiently. I have dual monitor setup and I also run VMWare, C2D is more than capable of handling my needs. I would say I'm quite a demanding user. :mrgreen:

18. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

hmmm E8400, ahh 100 dollar more cheaper than Q6600. im still thinking about it...

19. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LOL! Hold on, hold on there :haha: There's nothing wrong with getting a quad core for benchmarking and bragging rights :mrgreen: It's one of the primary reason why a lot of us here keep upgrading PC hardware. One more thing, I'm not referring specifically to you. :mrgreen:

And yup, we are against getting quad core unless you do a lot of video encoding. :mrgreen: We just don't see much use in quad core other than this and of course, for benchmarking, bragging rights, etc.

20. slugbug

slugbug Newbie

I would get the Q6600. It's cheaper and a good overclocker.