Quick PSU question/verification.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1031982, Nov 8, 2009.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I'm going to be building a new computer for my sister. She basically does flash/shockwave gaming at most. Everything else is word processing and other basic stuff.
    In light of this, as well as wanting it as cheap as possible, it's not going to be anything special.
    She is going to keep using Windows XP for now, so that's why I'm only getting one stick of 2GB RAM.
    I am sure that a Sparkle 300W PSU will be enough, but I would like verification as well. Below are links to the parts.
    PSU - Newegg.com - SPARKLE R-SPI300GLN 300W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
    MOBO - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
    CPU - Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
    RAM - Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/2G - Desktop Memory

Other then that stuff, there will be a SATA optical drive, floppy drive, and an IDE Hard Drive.

I am guessing at most in the future the system will run either a high performance dual core, or a low to mid rated quad core, either 4 or 8GB of RAM, and a low end add in video card if it's ever needed.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Since you are not running a graphic card, it does sound sufficient.

Most HP/Dell pc's use ~300W for a core 2 duo setup, 1 hard disk, 1 optical, 1 entry level graphics.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sounds good, although you might as well opt for a SATA hard disk drive (unless the one you want to use comes from an older PC).

4. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

The hard drive and floppy drive are being transferred from her current system.
    That's great to know, and I just like having verification. Personally when I get a PSU I want to spend some extra money and get something that's over doing it. Like my ThermalTake PSU, I have had that for a while and it's been in 2 entirely different systems. It keeps running, and I consider it money well spent.
    But for my sister, she doesn't need anything like that and wants a lower cost. If it's a solid PSU and gives enough wattage and amps, it's good for her.

5. zy

I think the most important thing is the 12V rails.

I upgraded my PSU from 450W to 600W for a C2D 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 9800GT, 2 SATA HD, 1 optical :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

I was worried because the 450W is only a single rail PSU

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Single rail is actually better than multi rail. For your setup, 450W should be more than sufficient. I've been running mine using 480W for god knows how many years.

7. zy

But that's if single rail is actually supplying enough amps right? :think:
    I think my old one is only supplying less than 20A. :think:

8. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Wouldn't you want 2 sticks of ram for better performance? (dual channel) Amd mobo's have that too right?:think:

9. zy

Good point, I believe so.
    CPU have became so complicated :nuts:, i just run dual channel for any setup. I never go figured it out yet how hypertransport works & etc.

10. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

for such setup even a 150w would suffice.

11. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Yes, dual channel would be ideal, but it's cheaper for one stick, and the system will be running XP Pro 32-bit.
    So, a single stick of 2GB will keep the price down and allow cheaper upgrading later.