qvl memory for asus motherboards

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by silverchair, May 18, 2007.

1. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

hi guys first thanks to all guys who replied on my past questions. i have another one.

regarding on qvl support list on asus motherboards. is there any problem qill encounter if u use a memory which is not on their qvl list? because i dont know if that is still updated or not.

just wanna know if it is ok to use other memory which is not on their list.

thanks guys

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Most RAMs would run on any motherboard actually. Its virtually impossible for manufacturers to certify all the available brands in the world to put it on the list.

But since RAMs are so cheap these days, just go for the well known brands like Kingston, Crucial, or Mushkin... their value RAMs are really really cheap.

3. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

So that means never had to worry about, since i bought a crucial 677mhz 1gb memory which is the type of the memory was not on the list!?

btw, so whats kepping the manufacturer making the qvl list? any advantage for those memory which are on the list compared to same brand name but different code number?

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

The QVL list is nothing but a 'support' thing but most often ignored anyway. Since it's a Crucial RAM, you've got nothing to worry about there.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Manufacturers will often test their motherboards with certain memory modules to make sure they run well. But generally, if all RAM that meet JEDEC standards will run without problems on any motherboard you choose.

QVL is more of a marketing tool, like Windows Vista certification... unless it involves memory modules that do not conform to JEDEC standards like new high-speed modules.

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

There are tons of other memory which is not on the list and usually they work with that okay. I'm sure they can't test all of them right? :D

7. Adrian Wong

Nope, they cannot. It's just not plunking them in and running them for 5 minutes. :mrgreen:

8. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

hey guys, thanks for the info and help that you gave to me, you both right regarding about the memory. Well since ive been talkin about memory, i bough a new motherboard, ASUS p5bvm-DO and about the memory, ive been lookin forward on OCZ product, and since you told me that mostly of them (new memory products) well work, i have a question between these two memory that i want to get.

First is the OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB VISTA PERF KIT and OCZ 800MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB ELITE KIT

I got the details about these 2 memory in their website but any more information about the difference of these two? like performance or type of setup of your computer?

9. Adrian Wong

No real difference IMHO. Windows Vista does not require special Vista memory. It just needs memory, lots of it if possible. :D

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

In general, go with a good brand of memory, and you should be fine. Run Memtest on it for about 10 minutes, and if there is a problem, it will usually appear in that time with any problem modules that are new. At least, that's my experience.

11. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

any good brands besides OCZ? i jkust mentiond OCZ because here is much cheaper compared to others.

And just wondering if i buy 677Mhz memory, how big the difference to 800Mhz memory? you think guys there would be no problem if i choose lower CAS Latency? just tighting my budget for now thats why! hehe.

12. Adrian Wong

Do you intend to overclock? :think:

Otherwise, cheap value-grade memory from Kingston and Crucial will do quite well.

When it comes to Windows Vista or any operating system for that matter, you benefit more from having MORE slower memory, than less but faster memory.

13. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

hey guys i bought a memory for my ASUS p5b-VM DO,

CORSAIR 667MHZ DDR2 NO-ECC 2048MB TWINX C4
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-5400C4.pdf

its a pc2-5400 675 mhz, but my question is, im looking at the cpuz on my computer and this is what i saw:

[​IMG]

is ther anything wrong with the frequency? Because what i only saw is 333 mhz using 5.5.5.12 timings and 266mhz using 4.4.4.12 timings which i tought it would be 665mhz at lower latency. (4.4.4.12)

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is very normal. The SPD speed is usually not the rated speed. As long as you see the module name is exactly the same as the one you paid for, and it works at the said timings, you are safe. :mrgreen:

15. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

Ic so that means it dosent matter if the max bandwith and frequency is different with the original product? cause i dunno what kind of program that you can see the right information of the memory

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The information programmed into the module are not necessarily the same as the ratings by the manufacturer. Usually the SPD settings are loose timings, which prevents you from having an unbootable system if your system can't take the tighter timings.

Just set the timings manually in the BIOS.

17. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

so that means you say if the product timings and the timings appeared in the computer are the same, that memory is working good?

18. Adrian Wong

Well, SPDs are usually programmed to JEDEC specs. When you buy higher-end memory, they are often designed to run beyond JEDEC specs. So, the SPD values will be different from their rated values.

Since you paid for these modules, you would naturally want to run them at those rated timings and clock speeds, and you should be able to do so. But that may not always be possible because you will be running beyond JEDEC specifications, which are what all motherboards are designed to comply with.

19. silverchair

silverchair Newbie

so it means nothing wrong on my timings and speeds which cpuz program appeared?

20. Adrian Wong

Nope. Don't worry. :D