QX6850 not running right at all.

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by quadkiller, Aug 13, 2008.

1. quadkiller

quadkiller Newbie

Hi this is my first post here so here goes.

I have recently purchased one QX6850 OEM but the cpu seems a little funny to me.

I cant really do more than 2 things at a time with it or it really starts to struggle. Just tonight I tried installing assasin’s creed and open IE and man did it slow down.

Just wondering if you have any ideas at all.

SYS SPECS :
    Asus Slient Square CPU Coller.
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt.
    XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard.
    XFX GTX280 XXX Edition.
    Team EXTREME DDR-3 1333Mhz
    QX6850 SLAFN G0
    Western Digital 250GB Sata as primary and 3 other Hard drives just used for storage of pics and stuff.
    Proview 19” Wide LCD and 17”LCD Benq as secondary.

If you could help out that would be fantastic as I have contacted the manufacturer and my supplier and they basically couldn’t give a toss.

P.S as a side note when I first removed my old Q6600 and installed the new qx6850, I checked it in bios and it posted telling me that it was running at 5000Mhz with a multi of x9. Then CPUID is picking it up running at 2000mhz core instead of 3000.

I have included a couple of screenies one showing 2000mhz then like a second later showing 3000 so friken wierd.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Got speed step on?

What is the cpu temp? Not overheating is it? Checked for the latest bios for your mobo?

3. quadkiller

quadkiller Newbie

Hi yeah speed step is currently turned on in BIOS and i also have the latest version of the bios. Heres another pic for the Temps.

Attached Files:

4. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Try completely uninstalling everything related to nvidia ESA. Another guy had a similar problem to yours and fixed it by doing that.

5. quadkiller

quadkiller Newbie

ok so what exactly is ESA does it have software associated with it ?

6. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

Google is your friend.

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Nothing wrong with that. That's because it automatically steps down the clock speed (by reducing the multiplier) and voltage when the processor is idle in order to save power. If you don't want this to happen, disable C1E & SpeedStep. As for the BIOS, it is reporting the CPU speed wrongly.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

9. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

How much RAM do you have in your system?

10. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

11. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

hmm, both OEM and ES processors..are they similiar in anyway?

12. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

same thing but ES haves unlocked multiplier i think

13. Unixlord

Unixlord Newbie

If you'd read the article the new core 2 duo engineering samples don't have unlocked multipliers.

14. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

i told i think
    well did not used any ES so i dont know

15. quadkiller

quadkiller Newbie

ok an answer for the masses.

I have 2GB of team extreme ddr3 1333.
    The CPU is an OEM not a eng sample, the supplier buys in packs of ten without the fansink and box to save dollars.

I have uninstalled the esa software that came with the board and no differance.

I acctually managed last night to OC it upto 3.66GHZ by upping the Multi to x11 still no performance increase.

Then I got to 4.00GHz on x12 multi still nothing. upped the vcore to next level BOOOOMMMMM !!!!! then she started screaming with speed. BOOMMMM BSOD !!! droped it back to stock. now all of a sudden it seems to perform a little better for some reason.

So confused it isnt funny I might keep playing I think see what she can do.

Oh by the way at an x11 multi x2 above stock the cpu's temp dropped 6 degrees celcius.

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

OEM and ES is definitely not the same. OEMs are usually bought in bulk, by vendors.

17. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

"performance increase":think:

Give us some benchmarks please. Super pi 1 meg. etc etc.