RACISM IN MALAYSIA. SERIOUS DISCUSSION. HANDLE WITH RESPECT.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Shogun, Jan 14, 2004.

1. lung

lung Just Started

Not really, but at least we would've eliminated one 'racist' element. :)

2. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Well, comfort seems to be the word. You grow up associating a certain place with a certain race, thus a business or anything relevant to that race (food, shops, people) will tend to revolve around that part of the area simply because we are more comfortable being with our own race, knowing our tradition and boundaries.

Certainly a community isn't made based on race, but it's our race itself who made up that community into what it is. There will always be a stigma attached to us, chinese hates indians, indians afraid of chinese, malays don't like anyone at all ... Of course 90% of this isn't true, but the reputation has been build, and it will stick simply because 1 drop of ink will destroy 1 cup of milk.

Racism isn't that widespread. Special right can be reserved, but isn't Bumiputra's reserved for the true bumiputra's, the orang asli ? And yes, it's kinda insulting to think that I'm not one of the "anak bumi" of M'sia since I've well, born and bred in here.

3. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

racism can be stop by mixing........all races mix equally...........but gov not helping dat.........coz they build so many exclusive school 4 bumiputras......the mara college...........how 2 make the ppl less racist?????? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: ...........if wan 2 mix.........must mix equally..........now the gov says 10% for non-bumi........but wat 4??????............the 10% non-bumi will be treated like aliens.......... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    so far we all living happily 2gether coz we r good ppl.......not realli racist.........but gov not helping.......... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ..........if gov dun help destroy racism.........how 2 remove the special rights??????...........& make m'sia realli not racist country......

4. myxzspzlx

myxzspzlx Newbie

treated like alien???... i came from SBP... got a number of chinese student there and quite a big amount of indians... we all mix very well in there and after some times... i don't see them as chinese or indians anymore... what i see... they are my friends... i never see any chinese or indians treated as aliens in my school... everybody feel being treated like aliens at the first one or two week at boarding school... but if u are strong enough and lear to make friends... then everything will be ok... dont axpect the senior to come and make friends with u...

some chinese get into the school and than go back to their old school... u know why???... they don't want to try to mix with other races... they saperated them self from others... for those who are friendly enuff... and do try to make friends... they will get along...

what i see... if there are quite a number or chinese in school or higher educational level... they tend to create their own community... and don't mix with other races... when i'm in the Uni... the first day in my class... a chinese senior come and make announcement... "today we will have a gathering at sport center... the gathering is for chinese student only"... what i heard... the gathering is for the senior to help the junior...

5. lung

lung Just Started

As mentioned earlier, education level plays a role. If the person, a chinese, for example, is not fluent in malay or english... And only fluent in chinese, he will find it difficult to communicate with a person of another race. That's why he'll mix with other chinese who can speak the same language.

Just my point of view ;)

6. myxzspzlx

myxzspzlx Newbie

thats why i think... emphasizing on using English is good... atleast we can use english as communication language among us... coz some ppl thought...
    why do i need to learn their language to communicate with them... why dont they learn my language...
    atleast by using english... everybody need to learn it... but yet... mmm...

7. alexan

alexan Newbie

Communication is another issue.

Even within Chinese, you could see a split community as well. One group whereby they are fully Chinese educated (usually can't speak English well) and another group who are fluent in English (but limited Chinese speaking skills). Usually the hard core chinese speaking group would normally taint fluent English speaking Chinese as Banana. Same people but segregation by the way of communication. Sadly, I'm from the latter group and it feels kinda awkward sometimes.. :cry:

8. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

wat is sbp???? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
    yahhh.......english would be the best.......but the gov nvr realli support use of english last time...........dats why our english standard still low.....cannot compare 2 singapore.......... :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, I totally agree regarding the speaking abilities among Chinese. Well, fortunately, I can speak/read English and Mandarin. So I still mix with all types of people, Malays, Indians, Chinese.

I have a few groups of Chinese friends too. One purely speaks Chinese language and dialects, another group of English speaking friends, and the last group of friends speak in both English and Chinese! LOL!

And I do notice very well that, the Mandarin speaking friends do not like to join the English speaking friends, and vice versa (but less true for the latter)! I'm like the middle man because I join both groups! Just imagine, even in the same race, there's already a language barrier problem, I'm pretty sure those Chinese speaking students will not join other races when they go to colleges or universities.

This problem exists because the Chinese school students have less than 1% non-Chinese students when they are at school. So when they leave school, they will find it odd mixing with other races.

10. myxzspzlx

myxzspzlx Newbie

SBP stand for Sekolah Berasrama Penuh... where majority of student are bumiputera...

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

There are not so many bananas in my uni last time. So, have to mix with the chinese-ed ones. But it was happy times. Coz we all speak in dialects like Hokkien, Cantonese, etc. And I can speak some Mandarin. No problem here. ;)

But from what I can see, we Chinese tend to stay together and The Malay and Indian, same as well. So, mostly you will see one group with the same color skin. :?

12. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

ooooooooo...........but see the mara colleges...........all onli bumiputra.........onli last yr they give 10% 2 non-bumi students...........if gov implement dis kind of racist policy 4 so many yrs.........how can ppl dun be racist??????......... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    but the bumis also racist inside their own race............the kelantan ppl alwiz gang 2gether against other malays........... :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I think it's important when we are discussing such a sensitive topics not to forget our personal experiences.

It's very easy to group people into different races and generalize their characteristics. Like all Malays are lazy, all Chinese are gangsters and all Indians are alcoholics, blah, blah and blah.

But we often forget about our own experiences with people of other races as well as our own race.

Think about your Malay friends. Are they lazy? Or are they warm and friendly people? What about your Chinese friends? Do they behave like gangsters like in many Hong Kong movies? Or are they also warm and friendly people? And let's not forget your Indian friends. Are they truly alcoholics? Or just as warm and friendly as your Malay and Chinese friends?

The truth is.. We are all the same. Whether you are Malay, Chinese, Indian or whatever, we are actually one and the same. We all have our share of genius, heroes and crooks. No doubt about that. So why generalize?

I know it's easy to generalize. We all do that. We can't help it. I admit I do it sometimes myself. We are human after all. :mrgreen:

All I just want to say is let's think about our friends and what we truly think of them before we say something that may be nothing more than an unfair generalization.

And while we may sometimes offend each other, let's us all remember that it is something to be expected whenever a group of people discuss something controversial. So, no matter what we all say here, let's not take things to heart! :mrgreen:

14. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

Racism will always exist. Always did and always will. Interest, language, custom and taboo separates all of us from being as one, and it will continue to be.

Yes, we can practice tolerance, but that's as far as it goes. It will never go away simply because we as human burdens ourselves with a standard set by society, experience and someone we respect. We learn from them and try to do our best to make we the same as they are.

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

I agree. But that should not stop us from trying! :mrgreen:

Incidentally, let's look at this issue from another angle.

Instead of saying that the government is being racist against the non-Bumiputra races, it can be seen also that the government is also being racist against the Malays.

Why?

Because while the Malays are the dominant race in Malaysia, the Malaysian government continues to assert that they are the "inferior" race by providing special rights and other restrictions in the law. Yes, I know, it can also be seen that the special rights were given to them because they "own" the land. I'm just suggesting another view here.

I am not a Malay so I can't say if having special rights will make me feel special or inferior. But I think there is a possibility that instead of making the Malay race feel special or superior over the "immigrant" races, the special rights are actually making the Malays feel inferior subconsciously while giving them a false sense of security.

No offence to any Malays. I am just wondering if that could be true. :think:

16. Shogun

Shogun Newbie

Personally, i second adrian's theory. This special rights thing, it has resulted in the inability to create people who can compete at a global level. As long as there is this form of pampering, they will never learn to stand on their own feet. I mean, let's just apply it to our own daily lives, this theory thing.

If your parents were to pamper you all day long, never let you do housework, or never let you go out, everything they do for you, do you think you'd be able to survive in society? hell no. :mrgreen:

The analogy might be inaccurate, but at least in logical terms in makes sense.

But then at the end of the day, i wouldn't call this a racist practice against the malays by the government. I would... call it as SUBTLE racist practicese against the malays by the government. :mrgreen:

17. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

quite interesting point............ :think: :think: :think: :think:

18. lung

lung Just Started

Well, from a Malay point of view... My guess is that the person will just take it for granted. It's like... I didn't ask for this special treatment, and I don't really care about it. But as long as it is there, I will use it.

Imagine if you found a lottery ticket that happened to strike 1st prize in the draw. Will you claim it, or will you throw the ticket away, knowing the ticket is not yours by right? Truth is, you will claim the prize. You didn't ask for it, but if it's there, why not? Same thing.

Now on the issue of education... I read somewhere that one of the reason the issue of racism is not 'curbed' in Malaysia is because of the education system. Malaysia has THREE types of schools - National (kebangsaan), Chinese, Tamil. Now let's compare this to let's say... Singapore. There's only ONE type of school there. As a result, we have people who have difficulty communicating with other races in Malaysia, due to the language barrier, but in Singapore, almost everyone can speak English.

The government is doing a good job by re-introducing English as the main language to teach Mathematics and Science, and I hope it doesn't just stop there.

19. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

mahathir realli make big mistake concentrate on bahasa........... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ..............now onli wan 2 learn english.... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: ..........our english standard realli bad........... :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: ..........dunno how many yrs b4 we can reach singapore's level......... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

20. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

You forget it takes more than english to build a nation. Singapore is small, so it makes the state much more easier to be controlled. And the fact that Lee Kuan Yew ran it with absolute control back that makes them grow even faster. (he was a genius). But you can see the lack of freedom most of them gets and only now has it's been opening up. I mean, no bar dancing ?

Our english are bad because we chose to be bad. Look at you, what is "onli wan 2" "realli" "b4" .... It's not you don't know english at all, it's simply the choice of us not using it. Remember at school when the teachers will hope we speak in BM only during school and English during a certain day for the entire school hours ? Tell me how many people actually do that ?