Radeon 9800 Pro 256: Adding the LM63 Chip

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Viper007Bond, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...this guy is nuts. But I don't think it's worth the effort at all...

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah... :mrgreen:

But if he succeeds, it would be nice if we could add a guide like that! :haha:

4. Chai

Not really...this is out of reach for most people. I don't think it's easy to buy the LM63 chip individually, and it's not possible to solder using normal soldering iron.

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

I agree :mrgreen:

6. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

Hey all whats up

I joined here after someone informed me that the post in talk above, was the one i created!

Yes im "this guy is nuts" and if any one was interested things have proceded a bit with my endevour to make a 9800 Pro 256 (16 chip) able to monitor tempatures.

While i havent been able to activate the Overdrive, i got ATItool to detect tempatures (though in accurate).

I need the following information and cant find it anywhere. While resistors i was able to measure with a DMM or just read off teh resistor... capacitors are a lot harder. ATI and all their wounder didnt lable them so there are a few more i have to add (as well as some resistors and , duh, the LM63).

Mainly:
    C1519 : Thats on the front of the board where the LM63 chip is (9800XT owners im looking in your direction). I need to know the value of that capacitor. That is the Diode/Anode line from the tempature monitoring probe inherint to the R360 core.

Unless bridged, the LM63 cant monitor the tempatures.

Also on the back (almost directly opposite the LM63 on the back) i need to know C1525. Its on a list of locations (not next to the chip). You have to hunt for it. This is the SMB_CLK line return which is sent back to the AGP slot/bus sending the interpreted signal from the LM63 to any receptical program.

If you see the two dip switches. If you go up one row you'll see a row of resistors, very small ones.
    Go up another row and these are the LM63 lines. The only capacitor (brown, the rest are black) i need to know its value.

Thanks again.

Ps Yeah the images are from here. If thats a problem i can take them off. Sorry!

Pss
    If this works, next job: Making a Radeon 9800 Pro 256...VIVO!!!

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hi "this guy is nuts" .. LOL .. welcome to ARP,snipper_cr! :p

8. Adrian Wong

Hey, welcome, snipper_cr! :wave:

Well, nuts or not, we need more people like you! :thumb:

Even if it's not very feasible, I personally love seeing people do the impossible. :thumb:

Well, let's get him all the help he needs, everyone! :mrgreen:

PS. If you succeed, do you think you can write up a guide for us? It would be a great complement to the mod guides we currently have.

9. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

I have a 128MB 9800 Pro, so I'm no help. :?

Good luck to 'ya tho! :thumb:

10. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

Hey again all, thanks for the welcome! Seems like a great community you have here!

Anyways, if this works i will be more than willing to write a how-to for this one. I use this site all the time for its how tos on volt modding and such as well as flashing.

The pictures ive attached explain alot. The PCBs of the board and the one im modding are almost identical (only memory chips and memory traces).

The parts circled in blue were missing on my board and ive added. The green circled parts are the ones i need values of.

Most importantly are the greens, i cant do much more without having those cap values, other than have ATI tool show 20/0 :p

Thanks again all, hopefully this will work out great!!!

Edit: Help if i actually attached the images :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  11. Chai

Sorry for calling you 'nuts'. :oops: It's still a crazy attempt IMO. :D

I will gladly help you if you need mine. But how do I measure the capacitance? :think:

12. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

Hey thats a compliment :p

Anyways, you need a capacitance meter... and the capacitor to be measured cant be attached to the PCB...which sucks... Hopefully i can find someone who just has the data.

Supposedly using a "Bridge" you can measure a capacitor but i dunno much about that.

::think:: any ideas cause im lost

I may get some low level caps and work my way up... sounds like only idea to me

13. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

Calc and Physics homework done i had an evening to myself finally!!!

Anyways i went to radio shack and picked up some .01, .1 and 1 UF capacitors.

I started with .01 and removed the resistors that wernt supposed to be on and replaced them with capacitors, .01UF. I obviously left the proper resistors on.

Well after a slight glitch...erm, ill explain later, i went back into ATI tool and things looked up for a bit.

No longer displaying the static 20/0 it was now showing 51/31 which seemd like acceptable tempatures. Strangly when ever i changed the clock speed it would sometimes read 83/63. Not sure i unplugged and called it a night, happy i made some progress. Its a lot of learning which traces go to which solder pad, which jump through the PCB to the other side, which ones are connected... which leads me to this story:

As i was removing a resistor it pulled the solder pad off... crap. I was able to catch its trace and just attach from there but it was still a scare.

However i am still at a loss for the PROPER capacitor values. Im talking with a person over@ rage3d.com and waiting a reply. Hopefully i can get the proper ones.

Im still not displaying OverDrive yet in the display adapter properties.

Also i learned that i do not -->YET<-- have fan control. I followed some traces that go to the fan port and learned there is a small micro chip i need to put for fan control. In formation on it i have no clue yet.

So thats the latest. :dance:

Anyone still think im :nuts:

well ya better :)

14. Chai

51/31 doesn't seem right especially if you didn't mod your cooling...

15. Adrian Wong

Too bad Max_87's monitor is out. If not, he may be able to chip in.. :think:

16. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

Working for several hours quite irritatably yielded nothing. I had several corrospondants with viperJohn over at rage3d.com, constant checking of the LM63 data sheet, solders and resolders with only the following results:

If a certain combination of resistors and capacitors are used:
    20/0 in ATItool

or

51/31 in ATItool changing to 86/56 if i move the slider and set clock speed.

My next corse of action is tomorrow when im working inside my computer to pull my 9800XT out and REALLY follow traces, capacitors, resistors and such. Hopefully that could yeild some goodness.

Also the LM63 data sheet shows that pin 5/6 (the D-/D+) should be bridged wtih a 2.2uF capacitor. The highest i had was 1uF (or 33 which is WAY over). Im going to spend another 55cents to get a 2.2 uF capacitor and bridge them, although im pretty sure that that C1513 which i currently am using is that bridge.

Im actually going to remove the heatsink i have on it now cause i have a feeling i may be missing something under it all...

17. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

I was able to do a side by side comparison between my 9800XT and the 9800 Pro 256 and took notes of a few additional parts i may need.

Other good news: I should be able to bring the fan tachometer monitored by the LM63 chip online this weekend.

After studying the information diagrams provided by national semi conductor, i was able to figure out what will be needed. A fairchild PN2222A transistor. While i was able to find an identical one at fairchild direct, i need to buy them in reels of 3000... Hey, radio shack has the TO-92 versions... might get that for 97 cents!! This will enable fan monitoring/control as voltage to the fan is regulated by the PWM section of the LM63 chip, and when absent direct voltage from the 3.3V line.

As far as getting the tempature monitoring accurate, im still working on that. It has to be something in the SMB_CLK/SMB_BUS lines that are not returning proper values. Because if the remote diode was in accurate, the local diode would still report a proper value.

Anyways, that is the latest from geek labs.
    Anyone still think im :nuts:

:thumb:

18. Adrian Wong

Woah.. Reels of 3000? :nuts:

LOL! Crazy or not, this is definitely a first! :thumb:

19. pmg4125

pmg4125 Newbie

This tell me the modding is moving smoothly.

Keep it up, snipper. I may cant help you much due to lack of interest to electronics 2 years back :(

20. snipper_cr

snipper_cr Newbie

New insight:

I removed the heatsink from the card in experiment and nearly shotmyself...

There were three solder pads that i had not noticed before cause it was covered by the heatsink. They are fittings for a transistor... Hope against hope i measured resistance from the head, to the D-/D+ on the LM63 chip... Resistance: 0 OHs... its a directly line not bridged.

Cant beleive i missed that!
    Calc AP (BC) test tomorrow i should have some time after it but today was studying!