Radeon HD2900XT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by meadowbishops, Jul 31, 2009.

1. meadowbishops

meadowbishops Newbie

Hi All,
    Ive just purchased a used computer to replace my old slow one.
    This one was built approx 12months ago for about $3200.
    It has a Radeon HD2900XT for its gaming section.
    My problem is that when I was playing Call of Duty 4 in high resolution my Radeon was humming away and then for no apparent reason a small bright red led showed up on the card and the Radeon, Game and my display switched off.
    The red led stayed on for about 5 minutes and then I rebooted the computer and it started OK. I can play the game on a lower resolution OK. The air from the Radeon Fan was quiet hot.
    I have the 6 and 8 plug power supplies connected to it so I dont think it is lacking in Power.
    Any ideas on what the Red Led is and is there anything I can do about it??
    Thanks Gordon

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I remember correctly, the red LED light will only light up if there's insufficient power. You may have the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors connected to the Radeon HD 2900 XT but it is possible that your power supply may not be able to deliver enough juice to it.

What power supply are you using?

3. meadowbishops

meadowbishops Newbie

Hi Adrian thanks for your reply, I am running a Thermaltake ToughPower WO116 750W

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The red LED signifies power issues. Maybe when your system is running at peak usage, the PSU can't take it.

750W doesn't mean it can deliver enough power for various different lines, 3.3V, 5V, 12V etc.

May I know what's the rest of the specifications of your system?

5. Adrian Wong

Chai's right. The power rating of the PSU is only part of the story. You need to find out how much power the PSU can deliver in the various power rails (e.g. 3.3V, 5V, 12V).

Also, did you connect the extra +12V ATX power connector to the motherboard? There should be two ATX power cables connected to the motherboard. Otherwise, the motherboard may not be able to deliver enough power through the PCI Express slot. That's 75W of power right there.

6. meadowbishops

meadowbishops Newbie

Thanks Chai and Adrian, Have you got an email address that I can send the info to as I have it on a page ready to go without having to retype it. The power issue may be it as last week I installed a second DVD Burner (SATA) and after I had plugged it in I restarted my computer. The fans started (5 of them) and the computer ran for about 20 secs and the red light on the Radeon flashed and the system just shut down, it restarted itself and did the same thing about 4 times then i switched it off at the back. I started it again and after it shut down once more it restarted and i pushed my hand into the bunch of wires in the case and rattled then and the PC keep running and the problem has not happened again. I really appreciate your advice however I an not very good with the software issues or understanding of computer lingo however I have an Electronic background and I can understand power supples.
    Once again thankyou for your advice and please reply.
    Gordon

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

probably a loose wire :thumb: glad you fixed it.

8. meadowbishops

meadowbishops Newbie

Thanks ZY but the problem I am having with my Radeon may be more than a loose wire however i havn't gone in and checked every wire yet.
    Adrian and Chai, I have emailed the system specs to you and maybe you will see something overdrawing the power supply.
    Thankyou,
    Gordon

9. Adrian Wong

Hi meadowbishops,

It would be best if you post here so that everyone here can help you with the problem. :beer:

Hmm.. In that case, I would recommend you try removing your second DVD recorder and in fact, any other unnecessary components and see if that fixes the red LED. It could be that you are overloading the PSU.

10. meadowbishops

meadowbishops Newbie

FIXED IT

:haha: I'm laughing now. Thanks for all the input. The problem ended up being HEAT associated.
    I went and bought a small tube of HeatSink Paste (non conductive type) and disassembled the Radeon as per instructions on this site. I discovered that the heat exchange fins at the fan end (unsited by eye) were approx 70% blocked with dust. I cleaned the whole assembly and reapplied the Heatsink Paste. Plugged it back in and away it went, the fan noise is almost not audible now, before the clean the fan noise was hooting and howling. I played the game Call of Duty 4 (modern warfare) at Maximum Graphics and the Radeon never missed a beat.
    Once again thankyou to all.
    Meadowbishops

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

used computer. no wonder .. lol after a year, its sure to collect dust...
    glad you solved the problem :thumb:

12. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

nice to hear that you have solved the issue :D...used to own 1 of that last time...don't think think it's a power issue (IMO, since last time i ran it with ST56F and using 2x6pin pcie)..wanted to rma it but no 1 dare to "killed" the card :haha:

13. Adrian Wong

Oh!! Glad you solved the mystery! :thumb: :thumb:

We all learn something everyday! :beer: