Radiation From Japan Is Already Killing North Americans

Discussion in 'Adrian Wong' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

No, don't panic just yet. It's the Internet. It's always full of overrated drama. That is merely the scaremongering title of an e-mail that's going around the Internet...

It then links to a website belonging to a Jeromie Williams, nutjob and liar par excellence. I'm not going to give you the link but I will post what he wrote :

Scary, isn't it? But before you grab your BOB (Bug Out Bag) and head for your nuke shelter to ride it out for the next few years, consider what I found after searching Google for just a few minutes :

1. There is no "Nuclear Medicine Department" at SGH. There is a Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET", and the Head of Department is Dr. Anthony Goh, not Dr. SH Aw (no idea who that is!)

2. The map that Jeromie Williams claimed shows the spread of radioactivity from Fukushima is precisely NOT THAT. Neither was it from NOAA, as he claimed. He got it from ASR ltd - Fukushima Radioactive Seawater Plume dispersal simulation, where they made it VERY CLEAR that “THIS IS NOT A REPRESENTATION OF THE RADIOACTIVE PLUME CONCENTRATION.

3. NOAA scientists actually did a survey of the dispersal of the radioactive nuclides in the ocean, which you can read at Fukushima-derived radionuclides in the ocean and biota off Japan and they found that “though Cs isotopes are elevated 10–1,000× over prior levels in waters off Japan, radiation risks due to these radionuclides are below those generally considered harmful to marine animals and human consumers, and even below those from naturally occurring radionuclides.

There is an easier-to-read summary of their survey at Lots of radioactivity, but little risk in oceans, seafood near Fukushima | Ars Technica

In other words, that e-mail is a lie. Jeromie Williams is a liar. The article he wrote is a lie, based on a fake map that he lied about. This is worse than playing the lottery. At least in a lottery, you have a shot at getting it right.

If you are aiming to head to Japan, go right ahead. You are not going to die from the radiation. Look at the Japanese who have been staying there for 2.5 years and counting since Fukushima. They haven't turned into zombies yet, the last I checked. Neither have Americans on the West Coast, or anyone living in between the two countries.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Japanese who have been staying there for 9 years and counting since Fukushima? 9 years?

3. frozenfire

frozenfire Newbie

hehe.. I think he confused with the 2004 tsunami.

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I live in the Pacific Northwest. I dive in the waters of the Puget Sound and dip my toes in the Pacific waters (and happily eat their fish and shrimp). I love sushi and I've had local sushi and stuff that was flown in from Japan.

I have not grown a third ass cheek yet last I checked.

5. Adrian Wong

Oops... you are correct. It's supposed to be 2.5 years. :doh:

6. Adrian Wong

Yeah! So many tsunamis. Got confused which one caused the Fukushima disaster. Thanks for the heads-up! :thumb:

Corrected the mistake above.

7. Adrian Wong

I reckon they get more radiation during their flight to Japan, than they would get from eating sushi in Japan. :D

8. Chai

Are you sure about that? What about those fish that are caught around the Fukushima region?

9. Adrian Wong

Actually, no one is supposed to eat anything harvested in that region. That includes seafood. In fact, a couple of days ago, it was revealed that the plant was still leaking radioactive water into the sea!

Of course, this is only going to affect the immediate area. 300 tonnes isn't a lot when compared to the entire Pacific Ocean...

No one will be eating anything from around the Fukushima area for months to come. I don't think the Japanese government is going to allow it. So it is safe to eat sushi in Japan, as long as you stay out of the contaminated area.

10. Chai

But how can you ensure all the fish from that region is not being sold? I know this is Japan, but there is a possibility for that to happen.

11. Adrian Wong

No, there's no way to be sure. But unless we stay in Japan, the risk of eating contaminated fish for a few days is unlikely to be a problem. It's not ideal... but it's not something I would really worry about, especially since it's Japan.

But if it's China... or Malaysia, now then I would be very worried! :D

12. Chai

Are you sure about that?

Although I don't have proof, I have heard stories of radiation poisoned by just travelling there. I refused to believe because there's no evidence, but I wont' get to go there because of my parents, and he had 'reliable' source from close friend of his who used to stay in Japan for a long period.

13. Adrian Wong

What stories of radiation poisoning? I haven't seen any verified evidence of radiation poisoning from eating any contaminated food from Fukushima so far.

I honestly doubt such stories because even if you eat a contaminated fish today, you won't see any effect for years and decades to come. It's not like you are getting a massive dose of radiation from a nuclear bomb blast or direct exposure to a fuel rod.

I don't know about your father's friend... but Jason has Japanese friends in Tokyo. They haven't had any issues of radiation poisoning, despite staying put since the disaster.

If I'm not mistaken, Jason actually went to Japan to visit them right after the event. Even cypris has been to Japan after the Fukushima Daiichi disaster and has not complained of any ill effects from her trip.

I would personally be more worried about food in China. Look at their terribly contaminated waterways and long history of food adulteration and contamination.

14. Chai

Yup, I know. You should tell that to my parents, not me. :mrgreen:

We have been wanting to go there before and even after than quake.

15. Adrian Wong

IMHO, it's safe to go to Japan. I wouldn't worry about Fukushima unless you intend to travel near the reactor.. :D

16. Chai

Yeah, like I said, my parents need to agree. If it wasn't for them, I would have gone there by now. :haha:

17. Adrian Wong

Well, the TEPCO aren't helping things by concealing the facts... LOL!

Seriously, don't they know they would get caught eventually? It's just a matter of time...

18. Adrian Wong

People are still panicking for no reason!

Sigh... The situation in Fukushima isn't good... The Japanese government and TEPCO seem to be quite inept at handling the situation. No wonder people are panicking over it. Unnecessarily though since those panicking are THOUSANDS of kilometers away!

[​IMG]

Recently, a family friend sent me an e-mail on Fukushima, with this anecdotal account :

He then followed it up with another claim :

Obviously, I wasn't impressed... not by a mile. As I pointed out many times, anecdotal accounts are worthless as far as science is concerned. They may serve as potential leads, or the reason for a hypothesis, but never as "evidence". So, I shot back :

Surprisingly, I got this reply from one of his friend :

Understandably, they are ALL worried. Unnecessarily so. But I can see that fear is genuine. So I replied :