RAM for your gaming pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Qing, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I have tons of 32bit software installed, in fact, I think other than Windows components, the rest are 32bit software. Even some software for Windows 2000 works fine. :mrgreen:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

Window Vista 64bit can work with a lot of 32bit software. As far i know, most problem only encounter on VPN software cant run in 64bit version and many problem with Creative products (:naughty: ).

Well i dont really mind using 32 bit version as long everything works especially the old games. I will switch after 64 bit starting to become fully standard next two - three years i guess for my next upgrade

3. Chai

Other than a few software, I haven't encounter any problems with x64 so far.

All latest games should work in x64 as well.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

What is really the advantage of installing 64bit computing?

Does the benefit outweigh the risk of not having some applications running properly?

5. Chai

Memory limitation is enough for me, especially when I will upgrade to 8GB when RAM gets cheaper.

I don't have any applications I use that didn't work for me. Games included.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken, Vista SP1 supports PAE so the remaining RAM should be usable, albeit not at "full speed".

7. Adrian Wong

That would be the ability to fully utilize 4GB or more memory. I'm in the midst of migrating to Vista 64 in case I upgrade my notebook to 4GB.

8. Chai

The major reasons why x86 is preferable than x64 is due to these:

1. Most hardware does not currently have 64-bit drivers.
    Not a problem for me.

2. In Vista x64, any driver that is not properly signed will not be able to enter the kernel and will fail to load.
    Which is a good thing I suppose due to better security, but more hassle.

3. Vista x64 does not support 16-bit software.
    I don't think I have any 16bit software (Windows 3.11 anyone?).

4. Very little x64 software currently exists.
    True, but I can wait.

9. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

What about performance? Is there really advantage when running 32bit softwares? What about running 64bit softwares, would it be faster, if yes by how much? compared to 32bit

10. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

that i want to know rather than having more ram.

11. Chai

No performance gain for 32bit software. No benchmark figures on that.

12. Adrian Wong

AFAIK, there's no performance advantage unless the application is designed to use loads of RAM. Then the ability to use more than 4GB of RAM comes in real handy.

13. Spanner

Spanner Newbie

With ram prices so cheap at the moment it makes sense to have at least 4 gig of ram in pc especially for games and photoshop.At a later stage u can always upgrade your OS from 32bit to 64bit so you can take advantage of the full 4 gig of ram installed. Just my 2 cents anyway....

14. Chai

If you are not planning to get more than 2GB of RAM, stick to Windows XP. :mrgreen:

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Vista SP1 is not bad also, I believe the 'high' RAM utilization is due to the large chunk of memory 'shared' with the graphics card in order to run Aero perfectly

16. Chai

Aero doesn't use a lot of memory.

What Vista do is prefetch your most commonly used applications, that's why the RAM usage is never below 50%.

17. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Do you have to enable prefetch somewhere? Because my RAM usage is currently 1,26GB of 4GB.

18. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

actually i am holding 4gb with myself. i think 2gb is not enough for me even using xp. :twisted:

19. Chai

That is very weird. My PC usage is usually around 40-60% most of the time.

20. Chai

Yeah, that's why I'm looking to upgrade to 8GB soon, especially when I use VMWare, photo editing etc.