Re: x264 HD Benchmark

Discussion in 'General Software' started by graysky, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm just wondering.. Without using the UAC batch file (runas), does right-click the ori batch file and choose 'Run As Administrator' works? :think:

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Trying that as we speak ....

3. Mac Daddy

Nope as soon as you enter the filename to save the data to and hit return the window closes :think:

4. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ahh... I remember now. All this while I always disable UAC before doing the benchmark because running with UAC on, it doesn't work. :D

Hmm...

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

IMHO, we should just tell them to DISABLE UAC before running the benchmark.. and re-enable it after running the benchmark, should they really, REALLY want to. :think:

And if we have money and clout, hire some lawyers and sue Microsoft for including UAC into Windows Vista. :haha: :haha:

6. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

I just updated the file with two options: 1) disable it manually and 2) use this batch file. See what you think. Is it clear?

7. Mac Daddy

Looks good here dude and will play around tonight on my end and make sure I have the admin PW and stuff set up right and retest the batch :D

Count me in they haven't locked horns with Mac Daddy yet lol :thumb:

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Ok, I think I got it. You guys mentioned that if running the batch file (x264_benchmark-720p.bat) straightaway with UAC turned on, when it reach the line below, it won't run and just skip it right?
    I've just tried moving the lines above to the starting part... like this.
    So that UAC will prompt to run cpuz.exe right on before running the rest of the script, and I guess it works. Hehe... :clap:

Since you need the system_details.txt anyway and it doesn't matter when it's generated, so let's generate it from the start. :dance:

Update: I got this with UAC turned on with the above tweak. Is it correct?

Code:
    Results for x264.exe v0.58.747 
    encoded 1442 frames, 51.85 fps, 3905.42 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 54.87 fps, 3905.42 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 54.00 fps, 3905.42 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 54.93 fps, 3905.42 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 15.88 fps, 3952.85 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 15.87 fps, 3952.85 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 15.89 fps, 3952.85 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 15.90 fps, 3952.85 kb/s

Results for x264.exe v0.59.819M 
    encoded 1442 frames, 58.82 fps, 3891.55 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 58.86 fps, 3891.55 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 58.71 fps, 3891.55 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 58.71 fps, 3891.55 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 17.77 fps, 3963.43 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 17.76 fps, 3963.43 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 17.79 fps, 3963.44 kb/s
    encoded 1442 frames, 17.76 fps, 3963.43 kb/s

System Details 
    -------------- 
    Name			Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Codename		Yorkfield
    Specification		Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9450  @ 2.66GHz
    Core Stepping		C1
    Technology		45 nm
    Stock frequency		2666 MHz
    Core Speed		1995.5 MHz (6.0 x 332.6 MHz)
    FID range		6.0x - 8.0x

Northbridge		Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. A2
    Southbridge		Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) rev. 02

CAS#			5.0
    RAS# to CAS#		5
    RAS# Precharge		5
    Cycle Time (tRAS)	15
    Command Rate		2T
    Memory Frequency	332.6 MHz (1:1)
    Memory Type		DDR2
    Memory Size		1014 MBytes
    Channels		Dual (Symmetric)

Windows Version		Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Home Premium Edition   (Build 6000) 

max VID			1.125 V
    Voltage sensor 0	1.07 Volts [0x43] (CPU VCORE)
    Number of processors	1
    Number of threads	4
    Number of threads	4 (max 4)
    L2 cache		2 x 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Instructions sets	MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
    Package			Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)

Temperature sensor 0	29°C (84°F) [0x1D] (TMPIN0)
    Temperature sensor 1	24°C (75°F) [0x18] (TMPIN1)
    Temperature sensor 2	25°C (76°F) [0x19] (TMPIN2)
    Temperature sensor 0	57°C (134°F) [0x30] (core #0)
    Temperature sensor 1	58°C (136°F) [0x2F] (core #1)
    Temperature sensor 3	42°C (107°F) [0x3F] (core #3)
    Temperature sensor 2	43°C (109°F) [0x3E] (core #2)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  9. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. We can try that. How about it, graysky?

10. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Dash - you're right about it asking for the warning, but moving it up front loses two things:

1) Speedstep will be active and the multiplier will be stepped down which makes it tough to know what the PC's overclock and final core speed is since only the FSB is right.

2) Having it run at the end of the benchmark gives more accurate temperatures readings and although I'm not tracking temps, people have asked about logging them in the results.

The only way to get both speedstep off and the temps is to have it run right towards the end of the benchmark :(

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Oooo... ok, will try when I'm back tomorrow. :D

12. Mac Daddy

No thats what happens when you right click and run as admin. When you run the test normally with UAC enabled it prompts to allow or disallow CPUID after the first run and if your not there to accept it stalls the test and doesn't write the results.

Graysky I went in and saved the admin account pw and account enabled again and this time it worked so maybe I missed something the other day. Dashken your results look correct :D

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah... then just warn them that they have to be there! :D

Coz running with runas with empty Administrator password, it won't work. And too messy to give Administrator a password. Haha...

I think the best thing is to..

- Use script to check whether UAC is on or off
    - If off, prompt user whether want to disable UAC to continue (if not, exit)
    - If yes, disable UAC and auto restart
    - Then maybe add the batch file into run once or something (but that'll require approval as well)

LMAO! Fail... :faint:

LOL! I give up...

14. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Yeah, that's cuz the environment doesn't get passed to the cmd (it defaults to I think c:\windows\something or c:\users\something when it needs to be the drive and folder where the batch file resides).

Vista sucks :)

Any ideas how to have the batch file do the follow:

Detect if Vista is running or XP/Server etc. If it's Vista, then do a UAC check and prompt users for options.

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup. That's possible..

But I'll have to use the batch file to run vb script to detect the string in the registry, which as always will prompt UAC message. :D

And I guess that defeats the purpose eh? :haha:

Tell me if you want it, I can code one up... :) and how you want it.

Edit: Maybe it's possible...

- Run batch file to detect if Vista and if UAC ON, then prompt to disable UAC, then restart. If user doesn't want to disable UAC, then QUIT.
    - After restart, rerun batch file (manually), or I can straightaway add in the batch file at runonce and it will run after system restarts.

- If not Vista, then run benchmark straightaway.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  16. Mac Daddy

That sounds good Dash and good work guys keep us posted ;)

17. graysky

graysky ARP Reviewer

Sounds like a plan dude. I dunno what to use to test if vista exists though... I looked through the environment variables but didn't see anything.... wait a sec %LOCALAPPDATA% is unique to vista so we could have it look to see that something exists there... dunno about UAC though.

Maybe we're making too much out of this. Maybe it's best to leave it as is?

Oh hey, thanks for fixing up the html on the main page. I like the predictor.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mac Daddy

I thought so at first Graysky but you and Dash are working on this and be nice to see it sweet. Disabling UAC is easy to do but admire both of your efforts on this one :mrgreen:

19. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I may use WMI query to check the operatingsystem's OperatingSystemSKU and detect whether it's Vista or not. Or I can just dive into the registry and find the windows current version and also at the same time whether UAC is enabled or not. :D

Ohh... I'm just suggesting, it's really up to you whether you think we need it or not. But I think I'll try it anyway this weekend, most probably on Saturday. Just to keep my mind fresh. I like simple coding like this... haha. :mrgreen:

Hey, no problem. :beer:

yeah, disabling UAC, restart, run benchmark, then allow to reenable UAC and restart after benchmark is finished. I like everything automated. :haha:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  20. Adrian Wong

Okay, once we settle this, we should call it.. Version 2.0? And send out news so that everyone can download and give the new version a try.