Read any interesting books lately?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Leian, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Just started on another Larry Bond novel - Red Phoenix! :thumb:

Larry Bond is another author you should check out if you are interested in military confrontation. :thumb:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

3. Adrian Wong

4. yhng

yhng Newbie

Yeah it's out...and to be honest it's only slightly better than the previous :roll: :wall:

It's dragging on for too long and the story's just going around in circles. Too many stuff that got sidetracked although some of the main plots advanced a bit. If you're one of those that feel increasingly frustrated by the storyline since Lord of Chaos, this book is only basic consolation.

5. yhng

yhng Newbie

Get them from overseas! My whole set barely cost me RM200...all HB.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

Finished Shall We Tell The President, Kane & Abel and The Prodigal Daughter recently and they're all by Jeffrey Archer. :)

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

ROTFL! Can't agree more but so far I've only read one... :haha:

No time man... since the ones I have are not hardcopy. :shifty:

Yeah, those Microsoft guys really damn serious in what they were doing... even initially they were eaten alive... but the those 2 geniuses came back with a bang! :thumb:

Many said Paul Allen is the smart one... but seems like Bill Gates is the force behind everything with his business wits, etc. :think:

8. Adrian Wong

Too heavy to have them mailed here. :wall:

9. Adrian Wong

W00T! Jeffrey Archer's books are really good! :thumb:

10. Adrian Wong

Well, Microsoft wouldn't have been the Microsoft it is today if it wasn't Bill Gates running the show.

But his main contribution definitely wasn't on the programming side. Heck, DOS wasn't even written by Microsoft! :haha:

What's pretty amazing to me in that book is the dedication and competitiveness of everyone at Microsoft. They work really long hours, some even camped there! Respect! :thumb:

Eh, it's a pretty thin book. You are STILL reading it?? :mrgreen:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Can't agree more. The dedication man... it's like they live at the office. But the thing is, they don't have any restrictions on attire, etc. You can go in and out anytime that you want but your main task is to finish your job. :thumb: Really respect man! :thumb:

Thin book? :rolleyes: I only read like a few pages at a time. My eyes got too tired already when I get home... can't stand it... :mrgreen:

Eh, if you see this book in KL or anywhere, get one for me ya! :beer:

12. Adrian Wong

I agree - the emphasis should always be on achieving objectives, not just working like a dog. :haha:

Hmm.. I don't think it's available in bookstores anymore since it's over 10 years old? :think:

If you want, you will have to order from places like Amazon.com, I think... :think:

13. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

dashken.. how many times i must tell you. jsut get MPH or times to order for you... they will be happy to do it one. I always order my books that are not available from Kinokuniya :D

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Aiyo... Penang Island very far you know... somemore MPH only in Prangin Mall I think, and its packed during weekend. :doh:

15. djspinnet

djspinnet Newbie

Also in the two Gurneys: Gurney Plaza & Gurney Tower too (the one behind Gurney Hotel)

If you want a relatively large choice and less people, and a reading area, go to Gurney Tower. If you want an even larger MPH, go to Gurney Plaza..

Parking could be a problem during the weekends, unless you're prepared to walk or drive round and round a few times.

16. Adrian Wong

Ahhh.. I miss Penang. :mrgreen:

I'm already halfway through Red Phoenix. :beer:

Man, Larry Bond CAN write!! :thumb:

I wish I can write as well as these fellas... :pray: :pray:

17. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  18. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

i've got two nice and thick book by J.V. Jones, her Sword of Shadows novels.. book 1 and 2 (book 3 not out yet). haven't had the motivation to start on them.. :haha:

19. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

George R R Martin has come highly recommended but I have not read his books yet. :think:

aKho, that sounds interesting. Probably have seen them in the shops but haven't looked at them in detail yet.

My personally, have been swimming in Guy Gavriel Kay. Can't remember if I've recommended him in this thread before (might have). If you want a short, great standalone read, go with The Lions of Al-Rassan. Two-book series is The Sarantine Mosaic - Book 1 Sailing to Sarantium and Book 2 The Lord of Emperors (gosh, just thinking about these two books make my shiver, it's that good!. Trilogy, it's the Fionavar Tapestry - The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road (the edition illustrated but the wonderful Janny Wurts costs RM60+/book, so the entire series is close to RM200. You have been warned!)

:thumb:

20. Adrian Wong

I just re-read Blitzkrieg by Len Deighton. Superb book. :thumb:

Also read Red Rabbit by Tom Clancy. Unfortunately, I feel that his standard has dropped quite a lot. It was slow.. and had Jack Ryan portrayed as an over-reflective New Age, (over)-sensitive kind of man. :doh: