Recovering Windows bootloader without the DVD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by g0tanks, Nov 20, 2008.

1. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Does anyone know a way of recovering the Windows Vista bootloader without using the installation/recovery DVD? Somehow my bootloader got messed up and the system recovery says the installed version of Vista does not match the one on the DVD so I can't get into the recovery console :/

2. xxdekaxx

xxdekaxx Newbie

1. Back up all your important files
    2. Format your hard drive
    3. Install a fresh clean version of WinXP SP3
    4. Throw your copy of VISTA in the bin

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's odd. There's only one Vista DVD. It contains the files for all Vista versions, from Home to Ultimate.

Are you perhaps using a 32-bit Vista DVD to repair a 64-bit Vista installation? :think:

4. Adrian Wong

Try upgrading to Vista SP1 before you dismiss it. :D

Like all Microsoft OS (including Windows XP), you need to wait until Service Pack 1 before they get it running stable.

The last time I rebooted was over a week ago and I only rebooted because I installed new updates for Vista. It's that stable. :thumb:

5. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

same here...been more stable ever since i switched to 64 bit :)..btw regarding that bootloader thingie, did you actually install some software or another os on it? Kinda hard to recover it unless you find another disc. if all cannot work, another alternative is to get a spare hdd, install the new vista in it, back up the data from your old vista (thats what i did previously, when vista died because of OCing+rams :haha:)

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

how bout trying this?
    How to Repair Windows Vista Without a Vista DVD Disc Raymond.CC Blog

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My Vista has been very stable since I installed the newest NIC driver.

I will try the Matrix Storage drivers again. :mrgreen:

8. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Nope, I just used the same disk I used to install

I didn't know EasyBCD had also a bootable version, i'll download it and try it out :thumb:

9. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

It worked! This time the recovery system did work with my copy of Vista then I was able to manually restore the bootmanager/loader in the command prompt :mrgreen:

10. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Cool...you just follow the guide that Lee_what gave?

11. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Didn't follow the guide, I just downloaded the 120MB recovery CD to get into the command prompt and then ran:
    bootsect /fixmbr
    bootsect /fixboot

12. lee_what2004

nice to hear it works :thumb:

13. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Cool, maybe next time i could try it again if my bootloader gets fu**ed up due to OCing..

14. Adrian Wong

Ahh.. If that works, that means the original boot sector or master boot record in the hard disk drive was corrupted.

15. g0tanks

g0tanks Newbie

Yeah, I actually made a picture of what I got on screen when I tried to boot:

[​IMG]

16. Adrian Wong

WOW! That's the first time I've ever seen a screen like that. :shock:

17. javajeff

javajeff Newbie

lee_what2004: Very Helpful link.

18. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Wow, I got that screeen once when I didn't seat those old 30-pin RAM inside properly! :haha:

19. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

I'd get a heart attack if I saw that on my screen. Worse than the blue screen of death lol

20. lee_what2004

its the secret message of death :haha: