Replacement drive for an old laptop.

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by 1031982, Mar 16, 2010.

1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I got an hand-me-down 5 year old laptop and personally it's enough for me.
    Thing is, I need to get a new optical drive.
    I got an Acer Travel-mate 4650.
    The optical drive, a TSST (Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology) TS-L632B is not reading burned DVD's at all, has issues reading burned CD's, as well as starting to have issues with pressed/regular disks.
    I can't seem to find another drive easily, given the age of the system.
    All I need is to read disks. If it can burn CD's, that would be great as well, but I don't need DVD burning at all.

Anyone know where I can get a compatible drive? I don't want to spend too much, as I don't need much.
    The current drive uses an CSEL ATAPI connection

Now, for anyone wanting to know why I bother, it's because I don't need much with a laptop. I an running a Linux build, and beyond that there is very little I need.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Before you look for a replacement, have you tried updating its firmware yet?

The reason is a newer firmware could solve lots of read issues with burned disks.

3. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

That was the first thing I checked into.
    There are firmware updates for the TO and TF hardware but I can't find anything for the TS. In addidion, there are a large number of reports saying after flashing with the TO and TF firmware that Acer laptops no longer detect the drive.

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

maybe for that old laptop, you should considering getting an external drive then? (since both almost around the same price range over here)

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

It can't boot from an external device. I actually need an internal slimline drive.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If external drive is not an option for you, then you have to buy back the compatible version, which is quite difficult. Do you have second hand shop over there where you can get old laptop parts?

7. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Nope...
    But now you see my problem.

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

9. Adrian Wong

Yeah, you can kill the drive by flashing an incompatible firmware.

10. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Exactly right Adrian.

Zy, I don't have the money for that price right now as I also need to replace the keyboard.
    As long as a drive is compatable, can read DVD's, and burn CD's I will be happy.

On a side note, the drive reads DVD+RW disks just fine. Hows that for odd?

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Do you only need to boot with the internal drive? Why not use DVDRW?

12. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, I need to be able to read burned DVD+/-R's as well. Burning RW's takes a while and honestly, I tend to use RW's for testing only.
    In addition, I still need to be able to read other burned disks and pressed ones.
    With the drive being "flakey" with burned DVD's, I would rather not risk this.

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I found a compatible one on E-Bay. It was one of the other drives they bundled with the laptop.

14. Adrian Wong

Hope you got it cheap!

15. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

e-bay can be a lifesaver... What kind of drive did you get?