Replacement for POS Broadband router

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Chai, Mar 21, 2006.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

You DO NOT want my current modem-router-wireless router config. LMAO. it's a damn mess and a big headache to setup. :wall:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Looks like the consumer routers are not really that good when you really use all the features like the VPN passthru...Most Netgear models have problems with the VPN. More headache...

OT: LOL, found a 'secret' AP. :p

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  3. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

i heard it got struck? still working???

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Yup. it got struck and the modem was fried. My 8 port switch also died. Powersurge.

Luckily the both my Linksys Router and el-cheapo AP+router is still working.. Phew!

Yes Chai, consumer grade routers are pretty ... well ... useless when you make use of more 'funky' features. :) If only we can 'borrow' one of those rackmount switches and routers. Haha.
    Maybe can look at those HuaWei routers. Cisco clones! :haha:

OT: Hmm discovered using NetStumbler? ;)

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, my old wireless router was good. It's a 3Com model. Only disadvantages are its support for only WiFi-B and lack of port control for the firewall.

6. Chai

OT: I found an AP which is probably connected thru streamyx, not the network. :p No more monitoring! :haha:

I'm now watching my office upgrading new router! :haha:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  7. Chai,

I agree, the di-624+ is a POS. Random reboots, wireless suddenly blacking out sometimes, drove me nuts and made me regret not researching before i bought the router.

Then i found new firmware on russian and german d-link sites. Finally i stopped pulling out my hair :D

UPnP finally works, no more random reboots, and wireless stays on! I've kept my router on for over a month once, and had no issues. This was with the latest, 2.09, dated January 2nd 2006.

Give it a try, you can download it here: ftp://lizzi555.dyndns.org/Download/WLAN/DLINK/DI/DI-624+/Firmware/Rev_Bx/

8. Chai

LOL! For those who are still wondering, I bought a Linksys RV042. Extremely stable! :haha:

9. Adrian Wong

RV042? Oh, it's just a four port 10/100 router, right? :think:

10. Chai

It's WAY WAY more than just a 4 port router... :haha:

11. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. What else is there? :think:

It's not a WiFi router, right?

12. Chai

It's a VPN router. I think that says it all. And check out the price if you are still not aware.