Roger Federer & Tiger Woods - Legends in our time

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Maximus_Detritus, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

With Federer recently winning his 10th Grand Slam title, Woods completing a 7 tournament winning streak on the USPGA Tour (the second longest in USPGA golf history), would it be fair to say that we are lucky enough to be in the time of growing legends, of being on the planet at the same time as athletes who could be considered the best ever in their respective fields?

We have already witnessed the rise, rise and end of the career of one of the greatest motor racing drivers of all time (Michael Schumacher), and have had fleeting memories of another, Ayrton Senna (I remember watching the coverage of the race weekend that he died). Could we be seeing the birth of another, in the form of Fernando Alonso? Kimi Raikkonen, maybe?

And what of other sports & fields? Headbutt aside, Zinedine Zidane must surely deserve a place amongst the greatest footballers of all time, alongside Pele, and Maradona. Jansher Khan in squash? Sebastien Loeb, in Rallying?

I think we're really lucky, to be able to bear witness to greatness unfolding all around us.

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well I doubt there is any golden age in sports. Records will always be broken... ;) For the best, there will always be a better. And so fourth... :D

I just like watching what I watch... Meh... You didn't mention Michael Jordon... :mad: Thats not right.... :\ But there is a new air man now (well probably the best since) which is LeBron James... :D Every generation will have one.

On a side note: GO COLTS! :thumb:

3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Federer hax :shifty:

4. Maximus_Detritus

Ah yes, Jordan. Haha. I was merely remarking that the level of competitiveness now is so high that for such dominance to be achieved at all, is astounding.

As for the Superbowl : Go BEARS! :D

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The second person I had in mind after Michael Schumacher was Michael Jordan, after reading the first post. IMO, both are legends, will never be forgotten.

I don't think Alonso nor Kimi will reach MS's status, not especially Kimi.

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Unless I'm very much mistaken (to quote Murray), Kimi once admited he will never beat MS tally.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

one day human will fly.
    evolution ma.. :shifty:

15k years ago, we couldnt even speak! and now we are singing :shifty:

fed still has 4 more to go, before he can be the true legend. but then again, hehe, no golden slam for him yet :p

8. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Golden slam only happens every 4 years if he can do it :p

9. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

Roger Federer is truely a LEGEND.

Unmatched on the court while being extremely stylish.

Tennis has never looked this cool. :thumb:

10. xtacymaster80

xtacymaster80 Newbie

agrees :dance:

11. Maximus_Detritus

Hello xtacymaster80, and welcome to the forums :wave:

How about badminton? Anyone there tha tcan be classed as a legend, in the last 10 or so years?

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, I would like to think Park Ju-Bong, Kim Moon-Soo and Rexy Mainaky and Ricky Subagja as the legends in badminton doubles. They have probably won everything there were. :think:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

gf (or wife?) isnt exactly the hottest though :p

but still, no golden slam :p
    and french title is still missing :p :p

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Pfft... Colts all the way to the WIN! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: