rojakpot slashdotted!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by sumurai, Dec 27, 2005.

1. sumurai

sumurai Newbie

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Is that what killed access to ARP from 2am est till 4am est for me? :wall:

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, I had to recycle the worker process or it would be even worse. :shifty:

They also posted about the Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide. But they did post about it in the past. No idea why it's getting mentioned again. Possibly because we updated it? :think:

In any case, plenty of flamers and struting peacocks at /. as usual. :haha: :haha:

4. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Be that as it may, is anyone following the discussion and noting down (weeding out) the salient points? Some people have question that can be answered in the article update.

It's 2:30 a.m. and I'm feeling poetic. :mrgreen: :boohoo:

Ah, to be slashdotted,
    'Tis a double-edged sword,
    A mixed blessing,
    Welcomed recognition,
    Mingle with mild panic,
    On the part of the sysads.

:haha:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  5. Adrian Wong

Yup, I am. :beer:

Agreed. There are points we can take note of. :mrgreen:

ROTFL!! That's a really good poem! :thumb:

BTW, our server SHOULD be able to withstand a post in Slashdot. Seriously, our server doesn't seem to be taxed. Neither is the 10Mbits/s connection it has.

Still, people are complaining they cannot load the page... :think:

6. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm could be the ads (either the our ad manager or the remote ad servers) causing the slowdown as before.

THe only way to experiment is by removing the adcodes or iframe them to test it. gah.. indeed... hairpulling experience. and top that with a 3000ms ping rate from my crappy streamyx connex to the rojakpot server. I can hardly do anything!

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Someone posted it as a 'review' and the guide is fark-ed upside down... :haha:

8. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. Could be. But then again, those ad servers are designed to handle huge loads. They have server farms doing nothing but serve ads.

Could it be a database limit? Or something in our server? :think:

9. Adrian Wong

Yup.. Weird how it got mentioned as a review. It's most evidently NOT a review. LOL...