Router woes..

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Dashken, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I think my Linksys wireless router is dead. I still can access the router GUI and share files among all the PCs connected. But I can't dial through my D-link DSL-500T modem. It was ok since I bought the modem last week.

I thought the modem is the culprit, so I connected it straight to my laptop, I'm able to get online. But when I connect it to the Linksys wifi router, the router kept on connecting but nothing comes up. :doh:

On the D-Link modem, only the power, status and ethernet LEDs are lighted. Status LED kept on blinking. And there's no light on the ADSL LED at all.

Any ideas? Modem is not the problem anymore. I tried calling through my phone line, it's ok. So, phoneline is out as well. It only leaves the router. :(

Anyone suggestion? Or on which reliable router to get? I bought this Linksys wifi router 1 1/2 years ago. :cry:

Thanks.

2. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Maybe try a firmware upgrade?

3. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

did you make sure that ur modem is in bridge mode?

If you want a new wifi router, i'd suggest anything that's supports the DD-WRT firmware. :D that firmware ROCKS man. u might want to try looking at lelong for a 2nd hand WRT54G V2 or V4 :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Or you can try openwrt :)

5. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, it's in bridge mode. I've tried reset the modem but same problem. I'll try resetting the router tonight as a last resort. :faint:

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hmm... why the firmware rocks? :think: And how to differentiate V2 and V4? If I buy a new one, what V would it be? :D

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That's odd. There's no DSL light on the modem?? Have you tried testing the modem in direct mode? Use your PC to dial up.

8. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yup, of course I did. I want to see if the problem is with the modem, coz it looks more fragile compared to my old Aztech. :haha:

Ok, I got back my Internet. How? Well, first of all, the power adapter of the modem isn't perfect. When the adapter is pushed all in into the power socket, the modem won't light up. But if you pull it out a bit, it will light up. So, sometimes you will see the modem doesn't light up. :faint:

My father went and exchanged the power adapter for a new one, plugged it in when he got home. Walla! He told me he can surf the net after that. :haha:

Thank God, no need to pay RM200+ for another router. Thanks for the help guys. Let me treat you guys to Tao! :mrgreen:

9. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

Take a router to confirm your modem works fine in bridge mode... then is time to get another new toy if not working :think:

10. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Glad it's just a small problem. :thumb:

11. Leian

Leian "Dai Sou"

Peaz using Leian's Notebook/Account:

new ones aren't using the broadcom chipset anymore and does not support the linux-based firmware. why v2 or v4? well, these versions has more EEPROM memory and RAM compared to V5. :) why rocks? Well, for one, you can even control the power output of the wireless signal! what other firmware allows you to do that and voilate the FCC standards! LOL

BTW, I also use my own power adapter for some of my devices... it's just the same. sometimes even better as the stock adapter is of crappy quality.

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

It finally works with a new power adapter! :dance: :dance: :dance:

13. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

own power adapter ? :think: where did you get them ? :think:

yesterday i was at my sister's friend's sister's house :shifty:
    they internet connection went dead :haha:
    not sure whats the problem. could be cable modem :think:

14. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Was initially using power adapter provided with the modem. But contact between the plug and the socket is not good. Sometimes power off on its on. So, my father decided we should go back to the shop and change the adapter.

At that time, my father provided an adapter he has where you can set the voltage one. Dunno what it's called. So, I set it to the voltage of the default adapter. Also cannot connect. Then I change back to the default adapter, also cannot connect. I gave up.

My father went and changed the adapter with a new one the next day. He got back, plugged it in, and started surfing. LOL! That's the story... :mrgreen:

15. zy

maybe adapter isnt providing enough juice ? :mrgreen:

16. Adrian Wong

Well, no matter what, always try connecting directly to the modem. Sometimes, the router's at fault.

17. zy

i'm not sure what kind of LAN cable is needed
    coz they only have a straight cable & its connected to the WAN port of the router :p ...

when we connect it directly to the laptop there is no connection ..

so i'm not sure if its really the cable modem fault or we need a crossover cable to connect directly to the modem

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Buy some cables, print out the RJ45 color codes.., get a RJ45 clamping tool, then go to sister's friend's sister's house and kautim her la... err.. her modem I meant. :mrgreen:

19. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Technically, most of the modems and routers today automatically switch to cross or straight if required. there's no need to use a cross or straight cable anymore.

Perhaps, it's also the modem being fried! that's what happened to my Aztech modem. the lighthing made it impotent. no more LAN connectivity.