Ryan & Dylan in a mini pool (Tokina 11-16mm)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adrian Wong, May 28, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Here are some candid shots I took recently of Ryan and Dylan in a mini pool.

They were all taken using the Nikon D300 with a Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 lens.

The first version is unedited - either resized or cropped but untouched otherwise.

In the second version, I just used Auto Color and Smart Sharpen (Amount : 100%, Radius 0.2 pixels, Lens Blur)

Comments please on the crop, focus, colour, etc.

To be frank, I'm rather sloppy (lazy!!!) these days. Just shooting as it happens. But it would be good to start picking up some pointers.

Picture 1 (Unedited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 1 (Edited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 2 (Unedited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 2 (Edited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 3 (Unedited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 3 (Edited)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Adrian Wong

Picture 4 (Unedited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 4 (Edited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 5 (Unedited)
    [​IMG]

Picture 5 (Edited)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I prefer the unedited versions...

5. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

In all the unedited versions, the camera WB selected a warmer tone which seems better than the neutral/cold feel of the auto.

In general I'd always avoid the "auto-everything" functions since they don't know what you want from them.

I'd also be careful of using the combination of wide angles with vertical orientation for portraits, the perspective distortion is more exaggerated this way.

6. Chai

Ladies usually love the distortion. :haha:

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, that's the problem, isn't it? The distortion when used vertically is very obvious. It gets even worse if I'm using a full frame camera, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe I shouldn't keep using this wide-angle for everything. But I have to admit - the speed is intoxicating, especially in low-light conditions.

8. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

In general, i started the RAW processing with "Auto", then make further editing with my preference.:mrgreen:

9. Chai

Same, that's what I usually do as well, unless the white balance is off, or there's a specific effect that I want to achieve.