Sad HDD layout

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by atwl77, Jun 13, 2015.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

The 2TB data drive in the Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge is running low, so I thought I'd add a new 3TB drive in, robocopy the contents over, swap the drive letters, then I'll have an extra 2TB partition that I can repurpose for some other use. Simple, right? :cool:

Except when I opened up the case, I found this funny layout which prevents a third drive from being added. So instead of adding the third drive, I now have to replace/swap HDD2 and HDD3 instead. :wall:

Attached Files:

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

On my pc with 7 HDDs, I had the 7th one facing upside down. Died on me after 1 year. Had to face to upside down because the cable just felt more comfortable at that orientation. But why did it die facing upside down so soon? :(

As for your case, time to get a new chassis. :mrgreen:

3. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

I think I need more than that, lol. This is an old 2nd gen i7 on a motherboard that doesn't even have USB3 at all...

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Technically, HDDs can work upside down without any issues. In fact, most notebook HDDs are installed upside down.

5. Adrian Wong

Good excuse to upgrade! :D

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Then I guess mine was just bad luck. Anyway... get an Intel mobo that can support 10 HDDs! My friend bought one and an i7 for around 1.5k. He's an Intel employee anyway, it's a much discounted price I guess. He said i5 and i7, difference not much, so he got the i7 instead. I'm still with my Q9650. :wall:

7. Adrian Wong

Don't waste electricity. Instead of getting 10x 1 TB HDDs, just get 2-3 x 4 TB HDDs. :mrgreen:

8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Or 10x 4TB HDDs instead. Leave no leaf unturned and all that. :dance:

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Then what do you do with your old hard disk? :lol:

I haven't been buying hard disk, only SSDs... LOL...:doh:

10. Adrian Wong

Pass them down to someone else? Donate? :D

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

To me!!! :D

12. Adrian Wong

Dude, you need the latest 8 TB helium-filled HDD... :D

13. lexiaa

lexiaa Newbie

haha~You should change your chassis Then. Fortunately, I have added my HDD smoothly.