Safari anyone? Especially non-mac users

Discussion in 'General Software' started by peaz, Aug 26, 2008.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Anyone here uses Safari? Especially for those of you Windows or Linux users. I'm right now testing it out and I've to say that I like the way it renders the fonts very much! Very pleasant to view and read. In fact, I like it so much that I'm compromising all the fancy plugins and extensions that FireFox can use for Safari which is kinda rigid, at least on the Windows platform.

Any thoughts on this fancy looking browser? Except the private browsing feature which I'm sure dashky is already using. :haha:

2. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

how about memory consumption?
    the last time i tried on beta version it was very high comapred to other browsers

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I tried Safari for a day and uninstalled it the next. Actually I felt Safari is kinda rigid compared to Firefox 3. And the itunes from updates, knn... :mrgreen:

Didn't actually like the feel of it. I can't explain. Love at first sight is important for me. No love no talk... I'm happy with Firefox 3 so far except after using it for a few months, it turns slow. Hmm... :think:

4. peaz

about 280MB of RAM. LOL. quite a lot actually... :p But I just can't get over the font rendered! Just like how you'll see it on KDE's desktops. Why can't Windows ClearType be like this!

[​IMG]

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This is font issue only, isn't it?

6. peaz

lol. dunno why but I just love the fonts rendering on Safari (Webkit-based)

If only it's has more support in Windows :p

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Get MacOSX theme?

8. peaz

LOL. cannot la. It's not the browser looks that I like. It's the font rendering. Hmm same reason why I could tahan running Ubuntu for a short while even though there was nothing else to do on it. LOLz.

Hmmm wondering if I should try to make my work notebook into a Hackintosh. Hmmm Hmm Hmm... :p work notebook anyway. Nothing else to do with it but run work stuff.

9. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

can try to change the font to lucida grande ?

10. peaz

LOL. I don't think some of you guys get what I mean. Haha.

I'm talking about the subpixel rendering for the fonts ala cleartype. Except, the one that Safari uses is in my opinion much better. Come to think of it, this is also one of the reason why I kinda like the iPhone :wall: :faint:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. I remember you can tune ClearType according to the LCD type. Did you try that?

12. peaz

13. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

it not quite alot, it;s very the alot :nuts:

14. peaz

Hahaha. Ok la. got 4GB to spare :p