Samsung 172x LCD problem, buying new one!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by aKho, Apr 19, 2006.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

what's the latest best LCD 17" and 19" for gaming? i'm looking to get a new LCD...

my Samsung 172x LCD which i bought last year...is giving me problems. whenever i start up a game (Obvilion) or after a few hours of browsing the web or even leaving the screen on for around 10 minutes...the LCD would shut-off on me. the screen will go blank, the power would still be on. i would then switch the power off then on again but it'll still be blank.

at this point, i can either shut everything off and try and reboot a couple of times before the screen comes back on or leave it alone for 15 minutes and turn the on switch again. both works.

the funny thing is, if i reboot, i can see the loading bios / windows screen but it'll go blank again when it loads up windows, unless if i wait for 15 minutes or so.

:evil:

anyway, if anyone knows of any good LCD's i should get or give suggestions on solving this problem, i'll appreaciate it. frustrating to try and play a game by waiting 15 minutes everytime i start it.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmm are you using DVI ? :think:

1 person likes this.
  3. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Shouldn't your monitor still be under warranty?

1 person likes this.
  4. aKho

yes, i'm using DVi and yes it is under warranty. thus, i need to buy a new one while i RMA this one...unless of course someone know how to solve this black out problem hehe. :shifty:

1 person likes this.
  5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well, Viewsonic VX series is great for gaming :thumb:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

only D-E-L-L

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, DELL rox0r! Monitor, server, desktop, notebook, TV, backup tape drive, UPS, thumb drive, floppy drive... just kidding... :shifty:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Yea.. Dell LCDs rocks... Especially the widescreen moneytors... :o

I wish I could get one... :p

Alas, somethings are just beyond my reach.... :whistle:

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

actually their notebook isn't really that roxor :mrgreen:

but their LCD is :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

LOL, I was just kidding la...

11. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Dell la! go for the 20" Moneytor like our police! Can see more clearly too!

12. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

Okay first off I'd check to see if the automatic screen blanking is on. Then I'd check to see if it's not the card that's going haywire. Then I'd check to see if the onboard display is disabled -- enabling this shouldn't cause any problems, but then it's always good to disable what you don't use just in case. And then I 'd see if I can borrow another LCD to test. If you're doing this, try both connections (analog and digital) if you can.. maybe you can pinpoint the fault.

And then (and only then) would I actually be spending money to replace the monitor.

13. aKho

automatic screen blanking? hmm i've been using this LCD for almost a year now..the problem just started a month or so back... i doubt it is the graphics card. thanks for the advice.

anyway, i spoke to Falcone regarding his 19" LCD.. and made my purchase last night. should arrive on the 27th :mrgreen:

14. Shorter

Shorter Newbie

Geez.. if you just wanted an excuse to upgrade, you should have just said so LOL :D

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! He has been wanting to upgrade since a few weeks ago when he asked how to order dell lcd from falcone. :haha:

Lucky lich fellas... :o

If only I got that V3 during my company's dinner. :boohoo:

16. aKho

well i'm pretty sure it's an internal problem with the LCD, so i'm gonna RMA it.. :dance:

the dell 19" is :drool:

17. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
    buy 2?

18. djIhcoro

djIhcoro Newbie

I concur. Dell LCDs are on the better side. :D

Dual screen power :o

19. aKho

woohOo! got my spanking new 19" Dell LCD! and sent my 17" to RMA. :dance:

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

so what are u gonna do with ur 17's when u get it back from samsung?