Samsung D600

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by aKho, Oct 30, 2005.

1. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

having gotten a HT820 bluetooth headset and finding out that my Motorola E680 can't stream music with it :evil: i'm opting to get a new mobile phone...namely the Samsung D600.

i got my E680 for RM2,100 :shock: and half a year later they came out with an upgraded E680i for only RM1,300. :evil:

anyways, the Samsung D600 looks very cool and has all the things i'm looking for in a phone.

1. stylish and small.
    2. 2mp Camera
    3. stereo speakers
    4. mp3 player
    5. mpeg4 video player
    6. picsel viewer for viewing MS Office documents.
    7. T9 predictive text
    8. card slot
    9. and most importantly bluetooth 1.2 to support my HT820 headset. :mrgreen:

the cons to it is that it'll probably cost like RM2,000+ and the card slot only supports microSD..which i believe the biggest capacity is currently only 512MB.

it's not out yet so i'm looking for some other recommendations? else this is pretty much the baby i'm looking to get next... for 2006. :mrgreen:

specs : http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d600-1103.php

Attached Files:

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

RM2K for a phone??? :wall: Something I'll never be willing to spend on.... :p

3. Andrew

Andrew Newbie

Before you buy a phone, I think you should also consider how it handles rather than only on its features. Personally, I've owned a Samsung phone before -- the Samsung E810C. It's a slider phone (or whatever you call it) much like the D600.

Here are some issues to take into conderation:
    1. The slider will get loose after some weeks. Although not unusual, this can get pretty irritating if you're one of those people who are perfectionist and insist on their phones being in "perfect working order" -- like me! :oops:

2. The hash key ( # ) can be quite difficult to reach as it's located at the lower right corner of the keypad and right at the edge of the phone.

3. The SMS function in Samsung phones leave much to be desired. If you're someone who uses the SMS function very often, you might get irritated by how pressing the wrong key may result in you opening a dictionary and losing your entire message, which will eventually require you to re-type the entire message. That happened to me many times before when I used the E810C.

I don't mean to pour cold water over your plans, so please take this as advice and nothing more.

Maybe you should look around for other models or brands first. Personally, for RM2k, I'd get a smart phone. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Personally, I don't go for convergent devices. Too complicated and too many compromises for such devices to work properly.

As far as mobile phones like these are concerned, Andrew is right. Don't just look at the specs. Try the phone yourself and see if you REALLY like how it works.

AFAICS, Samsung seems to have TWO separate design teams in the company. Some Samsung phones like the E-700 use a more intuitive SMS feature (ala Nokia). But other Samsung phones like the S-300 use an antiquated SMS feature (ala Motorola). Believe it - it makes a LOT of difference. :hand:

Also, check out the phone AND headset's battery life. There's no point for it to support MP3 playback if it can only do so for one hour or so. Same goes for its maximum storage capacity. :mrgreen:

5. aKho

i am currently using a smartphone. E680. nothing beats trying to sms with a stylus. lol. but don't get me wrong. i love the phone but hate the size.. the sms function.. the vga camera..

before that i had the s300 samsung flip phone. i also had my eye once on the E800, just love that egg-shape slider phone.

so what i really am looking for now is a small sized phone with a good camera and T9 predictive text. the other extra's is a plus. i know slider phones has a tendency to get 'loose' after a period of time... and i understand the keys are placed so close to the edge that it would cause some problems...

however, after using sony ericsson's, nokia's and motorola's... i must say none had ever come out with a 'small' phone that could beat a samsung's. size does matter to me at this point. carrying a bulky E680 around is not fun.

that is why my next one is probably gonna be the D600. i say it'll handle 2-3hrs for continous mp3 playback. but the only time i would use it for music is probably when i'm travelling. that is not very often so i guess that duration would be bearable. if not, a spare batt would come in handy.

i'm the kind of guy who changes handphones like once a year... the ideal phone is just not available yet...

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Er...K750 is not really that big, and has very good camera, T9 predictive text also...

Maybe you should wait for W900. :wicked:

7. aKho

aiyo, but i dun like candy bar wo... :faint: :cry: :snooty:

8. Chai

Candy bar, proven and least troublesome design, no broken flip, disconnected earphone and mic etc... But I guess you prefer style over functionality. :D Oh yeah, W900 is not candy bar. :p

9. aKho

not candy bar meh? :think:

Attached Files:

10. Chai

It's a slide phone... :whistle: Can you see any numeric buttons? AFAIK, it slides exactly like your D600...

Hahaha... I guess only techies like Sony...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  11. aKho

wah, that's pretty big for a slider phone... u plan to get? how much is it? :think:

12. Chai

Yeah, I think it's quite big for a slide phone, but I think it's more suitable for your needs, big screen, good mp3 player, IMO, the first proper SE Walkman phone.

Nah, I'm very happy with my K750, I think the only thing letting me down is the earphones, and I'm planning to mod it. :D

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2005/se-sakura-en.shtml

13. fiish

fiish Newbie

I got one about two weeks ago, it's not bad... the slider has remained tight so far. I'm finding the battery life a little on the short side though (3 winter days if I don't make many calls). However, the best feature of the D600 is the QVGA screen, it's wonderful and probably only the Sharp/Panasonic screens are better; it's definitely loads more vivid than SE or Nokia screens.

Unfortunately, like many other Samsungs you can't have vibe and ring simultaneously, grr.... :wall:

14. Adrian Wong

Yeah, I wonder why they don't at least make it an option. I would actually like it to vibrate and ring at the same time. :think:

15. prasys

prasys Newbie

One thing for sure , the camera is superb. I really like this phone , Samsung makes good phones. Its very easy to use , the text (font sizes are really big) and its just like Macs (no non-sense) unlike Nokia S60 and SE phones. I think this phone is good , trust me. But on the other hand , if you want something uber good , you might want to take a look at XDA series by oxygen (aka O2)

16. Chai

Huh??? What so nonsense about Nokia or SE phones? That's extremely biased... I find the menu system of SE very easy to use, because I can see all the main menu options in the same screen.

17. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. I still think Nokia has the best SMS and navigation system. But I haven't really tried the SE system to say otherwise.

Well, Samsung has a similar system but they also have another SMS system based on T9 which totally sucks. It appears that half their phones are using the Nokia-like system while the other half are based on the crappy T9 system.

18. Chai

I don't know, but I find the SE navigation system better than Nokia. I like the fact that you can choose the main menu options by just selecting the icon, aligned exactly like the keypad. Instead of Nokia where you have to remember the numbers to shortcut to the menu option.

I don't really care about the T9 system, because I don't touch-SMS. But I do have to say that the self adding dictionary is not as good as Nokia's.

19. prasys

prasys Newbie

That depends on each person , but again I still dont get the touch of using it. Maybe it depends on each person

20. Chai

Then again, you are probably used to using Samsung phones. I have used most of the brands with at least a few months of usage.