Samsung in disguise ...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mikegas, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

My HDDs run 40+C everyday... :mrgreen: In fact, I'm still thinking to reduce fan speed to reduce noise. :haha:

2. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

then you should get a good lower dba fans. :mrgreen: i heard samsung hdd is quieter than most brand, not sure if that true.

3. Chai

Get lower fan speed is one thing, still need to run them at 5V. :p

WD has some of the quietest drives now. SE16 and GP drives are all fairly quiet. In fact, heatsink-less Velociraptor is quiet at idle too.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But people like me overlooked the 'reliability' that I did not backup on time.

Last year I almost finished my moral project (SPM), took all the pictures, but then the HDD died, I bought a new HDD and had to 'reenact' those old photos that I took.

Worst is that I sent my HDD to a 'friend' of my brother who claimed that he can repair it.

After passing him the HDD, it seems like it too forever to get back my 40GB PATA, after much long of nagging, he gave me back a 20GB PATA which is not mine, then he took it back and gave me back my 40GB PATA.

But when I went in, all my files were gone, except for XP OS. I called him up to ask why, he said the 'installation of XP' was a 'value added service'.

I did not want the HDD, I want the files yet he deleted it. So I googled for some HDD file recovery softwares hopefully I can recover a part of what I lost.

To my surprised, the files were totally not mine as if they were used by someone else, there were some downloaded movies and of course some slightly intimate photos take between a guy and his gf :wall:

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! Your brother's friend is a real con man. :haha: :haha:

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Actually, to make thing worse

My brother's friend claimed that he sent the HDD to 'another friend' to fix it lolz

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!! I'll bet he has absolutely no experience or expertise in fixing hard drives.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Yeah, 40+C is normal. Mine is usually 35-41C under 28C ambient.

9. Chai

And surprisingly, according to SMART, Raptor is cooler than WD5000AAKS. :haha:

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

My WD5000AAKS is getting the most airflow from the 120mm fan, so it runs the coolest :mrgreen:

Attached Files: