Samsung Launches Their New Curved UHD TVs!

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

We were invited to cover the launch of Samsung's new U9000 Curved UHD TV and H8000 Curved HD TV at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur on the 15th of April 2014.

It was a large event with Samsung taking over the entire Centre Court (Pavilion Bintang Circle). Check out the photos here and in the Tech ARP Facebook page!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Two "flat" Samsung UHD TVs flanking the new Samsung Curved UHD TV.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Lee Dong Yong, President of Samsung Malaysia, flanked by his team, unveiling the new Samsung Curved UHD TV.

That semi-circle display behind them is built from 7 of the new Samsung Curved UHD TVs. That's RM 154K (~US$ 49K) worth of TV right there!

Samsung claims to have the "curviest" TV in the market. You can create a 360 degree display with just 14 of these Curved UHD TVs.

[​IMG]
    No, she does not come with the new Samsung Curved UHD TV.. :)

[​IMG]
    Samsung's theme of the day seems to be Beauty and the Hunk...

[​IMG]
    Here's a closer look at the Samsung U9000 Curved UHD TV.

It has a screen size of 65" and a resolution of 3840x2160 - that's 4x as many pixels as a standard Full HD TV.

[​IMG]
    Here are some key specifications for the Samsung U9000 (or HU9000) Curved UHD TV.

Incidentally, it has built in DTS Premium Sound 5.1 support as well as a camera and microphone for Skype and other functions.

[​IMG]
    Due to its curved screen, this is the ideal sitting position for the new Samsung U9000 Curved UHD TV - right in the middle at about 2 meters from the screen.

[​IMG]
    It looks like you'll need TWO of these Curved UHD TV for the best immersive experience, if you need to sit further back.

The price will be rather prohibitive because each Samsung U9000 65" Curved UHD TV costs RM 21,999 (~US$ 6,999), so budget RM 42K (~US$ 14K) for the experience!

[​IMG]
    For those on a less extravagant budget but still want a 65" curved LED TV, Samsung Malaysia offers the new Samsung H8000 Curved LED TV.

The biggest difference is the resolution. The H8000 has a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

Its price tag? A heady RM 14,999 (~US$ 4,699).​

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Is it just me or curve TV is meaningless unless u are sitting close enough. Not a very crowd friendly.

3. Adrian Wong

Yes, you have to sit quite close to the TV. For the 65" model, I think the optimal distance is just 2 meters from the screen.

You can sit further back, but the effect will be less obvious. The only way to counter that is to buy a BIGGER TV. :D

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think it's better to have flat screen instead. It's pointless like what falcone said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Adrian Wong

Well, I don't think it's "pointless". It's a nice feature if you want a more immersive experience, but I would like it to a single viewer or two at most, and they have to be sitting pretty close to the screen.

The effect would be less parallax, although our vision will adjust for it with flat screens, and a wider perceived screen than the actual screen size. Best of all, you don't need any special glasses.

All this boils down to is cost. If the cost of a curved screen is just 10-15% more than a flat screen, I think those who want a screen for their personal viewing might opt for it. But with such a high premium on it... it's going to be a very, very niche product.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well. maybe not to everyone, but I think TV time is family time, and more than 2 person will be watching it.

Unless you have a big house with a few TVs at home.

7. Adrian Wong

Yeah, for families, I think the technology is still far off into the future.

May not even be practical because of everyone to enjoy it like IMAX, you will have to have a full wall curved screen.

That's a lot of space and a lot of money...