Samsung SGH-D880 Dual SIM Mobile Phone Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

The Samsung SGH-D880 is a revolutionary mobile phone incorporating two separate SIM card slots and Dual Active Standby connectivity. Users can activate both SIM cards simultaneously and effortlessly to receive calls and SMSes on either one.

Connectivity is enhanced as the SGH-D880 user can be served by two networks at any one time. The perfect companion for multi SIM users such as frequent travelers and business professionals.

[​IMG]

Link : Samsung SGH-D880 Dual SIM Mobile Phone Overview

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

This article has been upgraded to a comprehensive review! :wave:

The Samsung SGH-D880 is a revolutionary mobile phone incorporating two separate SIM card slots and Dual Active Standby connectivity. Users can activate both SIM cards simultaneously and effortlessly to receive calls and SMSes on either one.

Connectivity is enhanced as the SGH-D880 user can be served by two networks at any one time. The perfect companion for multi SIM users such as frequent travelers and business professionals.

[​IMG]

Link : Samsung SGH-D880 Dual SIM Mobile Phone Review

3. bpappas

bpappas Newbie

Interface

Did I miss something?
    Is this a Smartphone? Palm? Blackberry?
    How do I interface it with my computer for calendar, contacts, etc?

4. enqvist

enqvist Newbie

Thank for the comprehensive review. it really help

but 1 thing which i would like to point out is regarding the sim switching procedure.
    i check some website it show that no restarted require, can you double check on that?
    if restart require samsung are killing the purpose of duo SIM.
    thanks

Please refer to below video, focus on minute 5 onward (non-english)
    YouTube - Samsung SGH-D880 dual sim videoreview da telefonino.net

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahh.. Looks like the newer firmware may not require a restart. Marc just informed me that his friend's phone does not require a restart when he switches to a different SIM card.

6. saharavenon

saharavenon Newbie

Hye. just wanna share my experience using this SGH D880.
    (It is not mine, but got the opportunity to use it for a while).

There is no need to restart the phone to make a call or text with either sims. If u want to make a call with the other one sim just press a dedicated button to swap sim. Same goes with text.

The button located above the volume control button.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. When did you try that out? Recently? If so, maybe they have corrected it via a firmware update. That's a good sign. :thumb:

8. saharavenon

saharavenon Newbie

SGH-d880 sims swap button

:D yesterday. Maybe i should share a picture to indicate the swap button. (right now, it is not with me, soon, i'll try).

Basically, it is kewl. Just wondering on MMS capabilities on both sims (didn't have time to do that, yesterday).

I m expecting better documentation provided from Samsung. :wall:

9. jaymonds

jaymonds Banned

Seems good. I like to know, will both the SIMs will work at a time or not?
    Thanks

10. trexag

trexag Newbie

D880

I've bought this model just for the dual sim capability in order to take advantage from the different pricing policies between mobile phones companies.
    The quality of the material is not the best but is quite acceptable. The battery cover could be much more stiff and firm. I've realised that it has a very good camera in daylight shots. The camera mode is activated really fast in this model. The camera functions are plenty and very usefull. As with most mobile phones the shots in dark place are poor. Its menus are very simplyfied and easy. I find very good the calendar and the internet browser. In addition if you install the java opera mini 4.1 you'll have a very powerfull browser, compatible with nearly every site in internet.
    What I find in general bad is the battery consuption. Under a mediocre usage I've to charge it at least every two days. However there is some solutions about that.
    Firstly try lowering the brightness of the screen and enable a short period of time for the dim function . Disable the brightness in keypads as long as you don't realy need it .
    Secondly if you really don't want both sims activated at all times is easy to deactive one of them without rebooting the phone, such a thing will prolonge the battery life at least one day.
    Thirdly the radio FM and the Gprs especialy with the use of java Opera mini 4.1 will drain the battery after a few hours.
    Fourthly avoid the permanent activation of bluetooth for the use of wireless headset. Use the wire headset instead and by deactiving the bluetooth you'll save much power.
    The policy of samsung is to use different batteries for nearly every model in order to make the use of no name batteries difficult. Such a thing is really incovinient since the phone under normal use don't have big stamina and the need of spare battery is imminent. I guess the the reason of the low battery duration is its size, which is relatively very small for the size of the phone.
    Somehtings else I find anoying is that when I connect the phone to PC in mass storage mode I can't receive or make phone calls.
    The maximum size of microSD that operates normaly is 2 Gbytes and that is really very low when there is in the market HighCapacity microSD of 8 Gbytes reasonably priced. Also is imposible to change microSD cards without turning off the phone since it's situated behind the battery.
    The media player of the phone is very basic but not bad at all and it plays mp3 and 3g videos.
    The size of phone is quite big but is reasonable since it operates constantly with two different sims.
    Keep in mind the only the first sims provide full mobile services at three band mode. The second sim is in only dual band mode and offer only phone call and sms. So be carefull at the first installation of sims. The side button for sellecting instantly the sim you need is really good.
    If you ignore the dual sim function it's very overprised with similar single sim mobile phones. Nevertheless is very reasonably priced an I'd say unique with the constant dual sim support it offers.

11. julyhgarcia

julyhgarcia Newbie

my duos not working well (SGH-D880)

got a SGH-880 and installed two sims, one from the Philippines and one from here in Saudi Arabia. the network is Al Jawal. I set the Al Jawal simcard as primary as the network is and enable the other but after some time it indicates insert sim and a word 'unlock' on top of the menu button appeared. I pressed that button but not responding. To reset the whole thing, i opened the battery cover and remove the battery and restart the whole thing. Any body got an idea about this thing?

12. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

julyhgarcia, maybe u can try with another sim and see? it might be a sim card related problem. hmm.