Samsung unveils powerful new drive

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, May 26, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hehe.. Well, it's a key feature that differentiates it from regular hard drives which are far more susceptible to shock.

I think Dashken's just sceptical about the shock-resistance of solid state flash drives like these! :D

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I think we can do a test on this. Adrian, get a USB flash drive and drop it from 1-20 meters, then maybe throw it against the wall or something. See whether the force/shock can kill the drive. :D

3. Adrian Wong

LOL! Are you volunteering your USB flash drive for this test? :mrgreen:

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Do we get to record speed, velocity and loft lol :mrgreen:

5. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Well, with Flash technology, they got different problem like stuck-bit, page-program bit, word/line bit stuck .. floating gate problem.. etc.. i know lots more but can't think at the moment. I was from Microcontroller background as well :p.

With size like 256GB, it is quite impossible to have fault free flash and they will need a lot of spare column to replace any faulty bits.

6. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Hey... you are the one with doubt. Not me. :mrgreen:

I lost my brother man. I don't want to lose another one. :haha:

7. Adrian Wong

Yup, they will have to allocate a substantial number of spare cells to replace dead ones. They also have to use special write levelling algorithms to ensure even use of working cells, if I'm not mistaken.

8. Adrian Wong

Wah.. You actually consider it as your little brother???? :shifty: :shifty: :haha: :haha:

9. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I have many brothers and sisters... have to treat them good or else they'll break down at times when you need them the most. :silenced: :shhh:

10. Adrian Wong

ROTFL!! You are funny la.. :haha: :haha: :thumb: