SATA to IDE adapter

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dhb1ibo, Aug 27, 2011.

1. dhb1ibo

dhb1ibo Newbie

Has any one used one of these adapters, I have one that's supposed to be 2in1 IDE to SATA & SATA to IDE, I can't git it to work. It has 2-SATA plugs even though the seller insists it only has one even after questioning and referring him to his own picture. I've tried setting the HDD to master & cable select, nothing seems to work. I have more than 1 so I'm pretty sure the adapter is not bad.
    Would appreciate hearing back from anyone who has experience with these things.
    Thanks

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I doubt it is capable of supporting 2 drives in 1 IDE port. Do you have a picture of it? Or even a link to the product?

3. dhb1ibo

dhb1ibo Newbie

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my description, I only meant it is bi-directional. You can either connect an IDE device to a SATA MB connection or a SATA device to a IDE MB connection.
    ebay.com/itm/320633451892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I can't post URLs yet so I deleated all in front of "ebay" hope that works.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. eBay says the Page may have been moved, or is no longer available.

Anyway, I don't think it's possible for the adaptor to be bi-directional.

5. dhb1ibo

dhb1ibo Newbie

Hmm, I just copies & pasted the address behind www. and it took me right to the item on ebay.:whistle:

6. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Did you try using the other SATA port?

Are you connecting a SATA hard disk to a PATA motherboard or the other way round?

7. Chai

I got the same results as Adrian, and it didn't work. Therefore I couldn't reply here...

8. Adrian Wong

You are right. You need to add www or the link won't work.

Anyway, I checked it out. It is actually an IDE-to-SATA converter. That means it allows you to attach a 2.5" IDE hard disk drive to a SATA port. That's why it states that the support is limited to 160 GB - AFAIK, 2.5" IDE hard disk drives top out at 160 GB.

It is definitely not bi-directional, meaning you cannot use it to attach a SATA drive to an IDE port.

9. dhb1ibo

dhb1ibo Newbie

I am trying to connect a 3.5" PATA (IDE) 60 gig hard drive to an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 MB SATA plug. I can work around this as it does have an IDE plug on the board and I have ordered 2-new ASUS SATA DVD burners. I originally wanted to use my old DVD burners which were IDE. Now I can use the IDE connector on the MB for my extra HDD.

It sounds like Dr. Wong is telling me it will only work with a 2.5" drive, is that correct?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. Chai

Another way is that, you can buy a PATA to USB converter.

11. Adrian Wong

It will only work with 2.5" IDE HDDs because the connector will only fit such drives. I have an adaptor just like this one.

The larger 3.5" IDE HDDs have a totally different connector (unlike SATA drives which feature similar connectors for both 2.5" and 3.5" drives).

12. oliverpowell

oliverpowell Newbie

Re:

I had tried the link and it's working fine for me. Perhaps, you have to try with using http and www before the given url.

The cable could be supposed to be bidirectional, but if any conditions that's showing error while connecting, user have had to replace the cable with the new one.

oliver

13. dudleian

dudleian Newbie

Converters

I'm trying to do the same thing. Tried one converter and as it didn't work I sent it back and got another from somewhere else and guess what? RIGHT - that didn't work either! Packard Bell suggest it's a compatibility issue but I'm buggered if I'm paying 50p per minute to talk to them about it so I've posted a question here, in the BIOS section in the hope that one of these educated bods can help me

14. Adrian Wong

Well, if you are just looking to extract data from old HDDs, I highly recommend you get an IDE-to-USB adaptor or dock. You can also opt for a 3.5" USB enclosure that supports IDE.

15. oliverpowell

oliverpowell Newbie

Well Adrian..
    It's quite right to buy IDE-to-USB adaptor for extracting data from the old hard drive...But i have also hear about data recovery software which will do the same and supports crashed or inaccessible hard drive as well, but it would be a bit more costly than simple IDE to USB adaptor...

16. Adrian Wong

I don't think their HDDs have malfunctioned. They are trying to connect their old IDE HDDs to their new motherboard's SATA ports. For that, they need an adaptor.