Scrubbing the processor?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by The_YongGrand, Jan 16, 2006.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I want to reapply my Arctic Ceramique onto my old Athlon XP 2400+.

I read all the instructions in the net - but they told me to use alcohol to scrub the black thing on the processor. But I don't have any alcohol or any stuff they list down here.

How to clean the processor, by the basic household way? :wave:
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most basic household has rubbing alcohol! But normally I clean it with tissue. :D
  3. The_YongGrand

You clean it with tissue only? What kind of tissue? Facial tissue? Kleenex? Toilet tissue? I thought tissue cause static? :D

And which household stuff has rubbing alcohol? I tried searching this everywhere but I couldn't find one. :confused:
  4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Any chemists or pharmacy have isopropanol (aka Propanol-2, Propan-2-ol or simply CH3CHOHCH3), or at least some other equivalent substance, at a cheap price. (You'll only need a small amount.)
    The key is to have something that neither leave any residue nor damage the plastic capsule.

For the actual rubbing use regular cotton swabs or Topz.

5. The_YongGrand

I know - Propan-2-ol.

I will go to the pharmacy and get this - but I don't know whether these folks will put Propan-2-ol on the counters/shelves. :shock:

Regular cotton swabs - is it called Cotton-buds? :D
  6. Chai

Nope, alcohol swaps.
  7. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Most probably not, but you should just have to ask for it to get it.
    I don't know what you call it.
    Small wooden or plastic sticks with cotton "blobs" on the edges.

8. The_YongGrand

So, where can I get all these alcohol swabs and the stick-with-the-cotton thingy if the thing is not cotton bud? :shock: :D
  9. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

They are cotton buds, they just go by different names in different countries.
    Look in the first aid section of the pharmacy for any alcohol that has a concentration of >90% so that you don't have to wait for the added water to evaporate - very important in our humid tropical climates.
    Or you can go to a hardware store and buy methylated spirit/wood alcohol.
  10. liddokun10

liddokun10 Newbie

This should do in a jiffy. Not the best solutions but a one that you can use should you have a couple of members of the fairer sex in the household. Get a hold of their nail polish remover. With any luck, ingredients say it is acetone based. Get a couple of pieces of facial cotton. And I leave the rest of the steps up to you.

Works all right for me. But if you really, really want to do it by the book, go for 99% pure isopropa-so&so and lint free wipes.

Following my technique may cause wanton and gratuitous regrets of a couple more degrees heat when cpu is idle or at load than doing it by the book :whistle:
  11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

u aren't building rocket science..

clean tissue/cotton buds will do..

i've re-mounted processors/gpus/chipsets for hundreds (or maybe thousands..who knows) of times, and toilet paper was the only thing I had in the lab. it did the cleaning job just fine.
  12. Chai

LMAO! I do the same too! :haha:
  13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

sometimes when the roll was too far away and I was lazy to get up, I just used my thumb to wipe the paste away :haha: :haha: :haha:

and there were times when I didn't even bother to reapply the paste, especially when doing CPU comparison. one application and used it for 3-4 CPUs (unless thermal related issues surfaced) :thumb:

seriously, if u don't overclock, doesn't really matter what paste you use or how you clean the core..all these components just :beer: work!!!
  14. The_YongGrand

Okay. So I can use one of these:

1.) My ma's nail polish remover.

2.) A paint thinner.

3.) Toilet tissue - on the die of the processor??

4.) Go to pharmacy and ask for the isopropyl alcohol.

5.) And even scrub beneath the heatsink?

I wanna double check only. Heh heh.. :D
  15. The_YongGrand

:drool: Okay - so I applied the interface material beneath the heatsink, following the instructions.

Must I drop another small blob onto the processor die right now? Uh... Quick reply please, 'cause the material will get hard... :haha:
  16. Chai

Er...just drop a small blob on the processor, that's it.
  17. The_YongGrand

Okay - there's a thin layer of t.interface material. And a little blob of this as well - I don't know - I think I might have applied a slightly a little bit bigger than this - will it cause complications?

And I did the aligning of the when I install the thing. The interface beneath the HS just now was flat and nice but now I just happened to rub it when I did the aligning with the die. Is it okay if I lift the heatsink a little bit and check? As usual, I clipped and turned on the comp.

But there's no ram - I couldn't check my PC yet - better get one soon and test it... :shock: :D

P.s: When I bought the comp, the person who assembled it had applied ANOTHER cheap T.interface material onto the die - with the heatsink ALREADY had a T.i.material which he peeled off firstly before he started anything... strange - I thought this is not very good practice? :D
  18. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

don't worry too much, even without paste the thing will work, albeit slightly hotter (+ 2'C-5'C) :mrgreen:
  19. The_YongGrand

So I have to do a burn-in test? Let it run for a long time?

Before that, when I applied the paste under the Heatsink - I accidently left the paste alone - for a mere 15 minutes - will it harden and impair its performance? :D
  20. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

your using artic silver 5 right? for RM35 i should not... :think: