Scrubbing the processor?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by The_YongGrand, Jan 16, 2006.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I want to reapply my Arctic Ceramique onto my old Athlon XP 2400+.

I read all the instructions in the net - but they told me to use alcohol to scrub the black thing on the processor. But I don't have any alcohol or any stuff they list down here.

How to clean the processor, by the basic household way? :wave:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most basic household has rubbing alcohol! But normally I clean it with tissue. :D

3. The_YongGrand

You clean it with tissue only? What kind of tissue? Facial tissue? Kleenex? Toilet tissue? I thought tissue cause static? :D

And which household stuff has rubbing alcohol? I tried searching this everywhere but I couldn't find one. :confused:

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Any chemists or pharmacy have isopropanol (aka Propanol-2, Propan-2-ol or simply CH3CHOHCH3), or at least some other equivalent substance, at a cheap price. (You'll only need a small amount.)
    The key is to have something that neither leave any residue nor damage the plastic capsule.

For the actual rubbing use regular cotton swabs or Topz.

Cheers
    Olle

5. The_YongGrand

I know - Propan-2-ol.

I will go to the pharmacy and get this - but I don't know whether these folks will put Propan-2-ol on the counters/shelves. :shock:

Regular cotton swabs - is it called Cotton-buds? :D

6. Chai

Nope, alcohol swaps.

7. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Most probably not, but you should just have to ask for it to get it.
    I don't know what you call it.
    Small wooden or plastic sticks with cotton "blobs" on the edges.

Cheers
    Olle

8. The_YongGrand

So, where can I get all these alcohol swabs and the stick-with-the-cotton thingy if the thing is not cotton bud? :shock: :D

9. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

They are cotton buds, they just go by different names in different countries.
    Look in the first aid section of the pharmacy for any alcohol that has a concentration of >90% so that you don't have to wait for the added water to evaporate - very important in our humid tropical climates.
    Or you can go to a hardware store and buy methylated spirit/wood alcohol.

10. liddokun10

liddokun10 Newbie

This should do in a jiffy. Not the best solutions but a one that you can use should you have a couple of members of the fairer sex in the household. Get a hold of their nail polish remover. With any luck, ingredients say it is acetone based. Get a couple of pieces of facial cotton. And I leave the rest of the steps up to you.

Works all right for me. But if you really, really want to do it by the book, go for 99% pure isopropa-so&so and lint free wipes.

Following my technique may cause wanton and gratuitous regrets of a couple more degrees heat when cpu is idle or at load than doing it by the book :whistle:

11. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

u aren't building rocket science..

clean tissue/cotton buds will do..

i've re-mounted processors/gpus/chipsets for hundreds (or maybe thousands..who knows) of times, and toilet paper was the only thing I had in the lab. it did the cleaning job just fine.

12. Chai

LMAO! I do the same too! :haha:

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hahahahahahahahaha...

sometimes when the roll was too far away and I was lazy to get up, I just used my thumb to wipe the paste away :haha: :haha: :haha:

and there were times when I didn't even bother to reapply the paste, especially when doing CPU comparison. one application and used it for 3-4 CPUs (unless thermal related issues surfaced) :thumb:

seriously, if u don't overclock, doesn't really matter what paste you use or how you clean the core..all these components just :beer: work!!!

14. The_YongGrand

Okay. So I can use one of these:

1.) My ma's nail polish remover.

2.) A paint thinner.

3.) Toilet tissue - on the die of the processor??

4.) Go to pharmacy and ask for the isopropyl alcohol.

5.) And even scrub beneath the heatsink?

I wanna double check only. Heh heh.. :D

15. The_YongGrand

:drool: Okay - so I applied the interface material beneath the heatsink, following the instructions.

Must I drop another small blob onto the processor die right now? Uh... Quick reply please, 'cause the material will get hard... :haha:

16. Chai

Er...just drop a small blob on the processor, that's it.

17. The_YongGrand

Okay - there's a thin layer of t.interface material. And a little blob of this as well - I don't know - I think I might have applied a slightly a little bit bigger than this - will it cause complications?

And I did the aligning of the when I install the thing. The interface beneath the HS just now was flat and nice but now I just happened to rub it when I did the aligning with the die. Is it okay if I lift the heatsink a little bit and check? As usual, I clipped and turned on the comp.

But there's no ram - I couldn't check my PC yet - better get one soon and test it... :shock: :D

P.s: When I bought the comp, the person who assembled it had applied ANOTHER cheap T.interface material onto the die - with the heatsink ALREADY had a T.i.material which he peeled off firstly before he started anything... strange - I thought this is not very good practice? :D

18. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

don't worry too much, even without paste the thing will work, albeit slightly hotter (+ 2'C-5'C) :mrgreen:

19. The_YongGrand

So I have to do a burn-in test? Let it run for a long time?

Before that, when I applied the paste under the Heatsink - I accidently left the paste alone - for a mere 15 minutes - will it harden and impair its performance? :D

20. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

your using artic silver 5 right? for RM35 i should not... :think: