Scythe new silent fans

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by PowerSlide, Jan 16, 2006.

1. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2006
  2. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Better to get the 21F and run it at 6V to get the same result, but have extra performance to spare when needed.

Cheers
    Olle

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The bearing and motor could be different, that makes all the difference to silent freaks. :p

4. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

I bet it's just the motors that differ, which in turn provide different speeds at the same voltage.
    Since everything else is the same and performance/speed thus is directly proportional to the voltage (within limits) then a voltage adjustment is all it takes!

(The noise is proportional to the speed^5.)

Cheers
    Olle

5. Chai

Not really. Even motor generates noise on its own, regardless of fan speed. So noise is not proportion to the speed, especially at very low speed. Fan turbulence is not the major factor anymore.

Instead of the noisy whirling noise, the motors generate noises like 'tik tik' etc.

6. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Those are fairly impressive specs. I hope they're not exaggerated like some other companies'.

7. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

You're correct of course, but that doesn't allow for a correct assumption of engine and bearing noise at other than rated speeds either...

Cheers
    Olle

8. Chai

Could is the key word. :p

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

seriously..i dun have a clue wat u guy toking :haha:

wen i shop for fans jus see the cfm n dBa rating..tats it :p

10. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

i duno much about cfm n dba..i just do it the old fashion way, physically testing it out.. :mrgreen:

e.g. plug-in fan, wahh! not bad not bad, very strong wind, ok i buy.

11. Chai

Manufacturer's rating is not necessarily accurate, especially Thermaltake... :faint:

12. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

Perhaps I should get my act together and write that fan and cooling guide I've been planning for so long... :think:

That should explain the basic physics involved as well as how to think when planning your computer cooling solution. (Like why it's better to add than remove fans if the objective is to make the rig more quiet. :twisted: )

I've spent quite a while studying this matter. University grade physics (dynamics, acoustics, electronics and thermodynamics are the sub-branches that mostly apply here), empirical experiments and reading/comparing fan specifications.

Cheers
    Olle

13. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

That sounds very interesting. :thumb:

14. Chai

Yup, it is very interesting! :D

15. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

my Scythe Ninja came with a silent 120mm fan.

rated as.......
    Fan Noise Level: 23.5dBA
    Air Flow: 46.5CFM
    Fan Speed: 1200rpm
    http://www.scythe-eu.com/products/cpu/ninja_plus/scnj-1000P.php

looks like it's a bit lesser CFM and more dB compared to the SFF21E.

* SFF21D -> 800 rpm, 33.5 CFM, 8.7 dB, 12 V, 0.1 А;
    * SFF21E -> 1200 rpm, 49.0 CFM, 20.1 dB, 12 V, 0.15 А;
    * SFF21F -> 1600 rpm, 63.7 CFM, 28.0 dB, 12 V, 0.2 А.