Scythe Ninja Plus Heatpipe CPU Cooler!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, May 29, 2006.

1. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

No such thing as enough cooling.... :whistle:

2. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

my xp-120 is getting old n this ninja just wholely spank xp-120 hands down :(

n i like how the fan clips works..simply anyway the HS is place still can place the fan blowing to exchaust :thumb:

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yup, only downside is that the fan clips can only fit the 25mm thick fans and you don't get any airflow on the ram or PWM area unlike the XP-120. The mounting for the Ninja is WAY better than the mounting for the XP-120 though.. :p

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

But SI-120 mounting is better than Scythe Ninja :wicked:
    IMHO anyway.

SI-120 vs Noctua NH-U12. Stay tuned...preliminary results next week. :mrgreen:

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It's the same mounting as the XP-120. :D

I dunno, I just think that it's a pain not being able to access all of the tabs and also my experience with the XP-120 in regards to unmounting it is pretty bad (AS5 + XP-120 = CPU pins bent coz it got stuck to the base of the cooler :boohoo: And NO, I did not use the same amount of TIM as the Apple macbook builders :p )

6. True. :lol:

7. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well the clips are easier to access because of the gap between the fin mass and the base of the SI-120..
    And I think the CPU getting stuck can happen with any heatsink :lol:

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If yours got stuck, it meant that you put too much thermal paste.

9. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I put a really thin layer. I spend a long time spreading a little bead of AS5 all over the IHS. AAY saw it... LOL! Even putting on a really thin layer, the XP-120 and Ninja still manage to squeeze a lot out... o_0

Really great mounting force on both. :thumb:

10. Chai

You don't have to apply the whole core, because only middle portion is actually the core, and the IHS is not really acting like a IHS as anyway, with our much more efficient heatsink.

11. Crap. Now that I didn't know. :faint: I just wasted a ton of AS5. :haha:

12. Chai

Hahaha...it's ok, as long as you are better than those Apple builders! :haha:

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL!!! :haha:

14. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

:wave: Yeah about as much as a small grain of rice.

I used to always put on too much and a guy from AMD put me onto this grain of rice thingy. If you put it right in the middle of the IHS it will spread right out over the whole thing.

Heatsinks still get stuck sometimes though. I just twist them until they break free, never pull them upwards.:thumb:

15. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

i always hav the proc stuck on my xp-120 with as5..i follow the instruction..in the middle n a grain of rice still my proc stick on the xp-120..now i jus spread it evenly n solve the prob :wall:

well TR ultra 120 coming..looks yummy..wen gona do review? :thumb:

16. aussie FX

aussie FX Newbie

I suppose it's luck of the draw then.
    I always twist mine to break the seal.

Hey Papercut I'm looking forward to the Noctua reveiw.
    It's getting a bit of attention at Nindeals:thumb:

17. tornskin

tornskin Newbie

Hello! I'm new to here and my english maybe it's not very goog, so sorry in davance ;) I have a question about the installation of the Ninja on a Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D. Does it be any problem with the installation of the backplate? I had a problem with the backplate of the Blue Orb 2 (even if some people installs it) because the lanparty has some components mounted on the backside of the socket. I mean the ones that not match inside the square that other motherboards have (like the Infinity nf4 sli) Is there any risk of breaking any of them with the ninja?
    Is there any chance to use the original backplate if I get other screws that are long enough?
    Here is an image where can be seen those components in the backside of the socket. (It's 3M, so it will take some time to load).

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/DFI/LPNF4UD/images/back.jpg

Thanks in advance

18. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The backplate has some foam adhesive at the back. So just simply paste the backplate on and it will be good to go. Be warned however the backplate uses some pretty serious adhesive (very hard to take off.)

19. tornskin

tornskin Newbie

Thanks for your fast help! Is it safe to use the backplate without pasting it just to test the heatsink?

Regards

20. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

It should be, I think there are some people who have done that. But just to be safe, make sure you have good contact between the heatsink and the CPU.

I actually just used the default DFI backplate when I had the Scythe Ninja. It worked fine :D